URGENT - My Cat chewed . . . ate tank top strap

freewayexit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help -  my cat Freeway chewed a strap off my tank top and possibly ate it while I was sleeping.  I had it laying on the couch and when I woke to put it on, I saw that it had been chewed off and couldn't find the strap anywhere, which has led me to believe he ate it. 

How can I get him to poop it out or vomit it up.  I am sooo worried. 

When Freeway was a kitten about 6 weeks old he loved to play with yarn.  Then I learned that kittens love to eat yarn, which can cause digestion and elimination problems.  Well sure enough he ate some of the yarn.  Luckily he pooped it out, but the yarn was thin and he had a very good digestion and elimination at that time. 

Recently I noticed he was constipated . . .  so I put him on miralax . . . I kept his diet to wet food and added lots of water to it and occasionally some pumpkin.  He is pooping regularly now about every three days and it is the right consistency and color.  I realize his elimination is not daily but thought we could work up to it as things are improving.  NOW I THINK HE ATE THIS STRAP and I AM SOOO WORRIED.  The strap is like a 1/4 in width and about 6 inches long.  I looked around out apartment to find the strap but didn't see it anywhere, so I am assuming he ate it.  I don't know why he would eat it, but since I couldn't find it I don't know what else to think. I know he loves string and yarn and anything that resembles it.  I'll never leave a tank top or anything lying around that even remotely resembles yarn again.  I had no idea he would chew it apart or eat it.  I'm soo afraid for him and his tummy and digestion and his health. I love him soo much.  He is soo sweet and cute and playful.  His brother and best friend will be devastated if anything bad happens to Freeway.  They love each other and play and cuddle constantly.  PLEASE HELP!

He looked fine this morning so I left for work and wont return until about 5 pm.  I am sooo worried.

What do you recommend for getting him to smoothly poop it out?

THANK YOU!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A strap that's a 1/4 inch wide and 6 inches long is not going to come out on its own. You need to take the cat immediately to a vet before it gets into his intestines. Please get him there right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freewayexit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Thanks for your reply.  I did some additional research and found several posts on Google with folks having a similar problem with even longer string than the tank top strap. Apparently he will likely poop it out.  Hair ball remedy may help break down and move it out. Luckily the strap is cotton not polyester.  

If Freeway is acting funny tonight when I get home I will take him to the vet asap, but if he is his happy playful self then I will wait for him to poop it out.

thanks for you recommendation.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope he gets rid of it on his own, but do watch for signs of it causing a problem. If he starts vomiting, loses his appetite or seems sick please get him to the vet right away.