Urgent: Kitten diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words. I'm exhausted but hopeful that things will turn around. Annabelle (who was the first to be sick) is full of energy and pep and tearing around the enclosure now. Poor abigail was up last night heaving and archie had one incident as well. All abigail wants to do is sleep and cuddle with momma so i'm hoping a day of rest is what she needs to fight off this bug. They aren't dehydrated so i'm letting things play out to along with the meds.

Momma was quite upset with me taking the kittens to the vet. When i came back she was drooling quite badly and acting off. She refused to eat until I tempted her with a can of tuna and some temptations. When i left this morning she was on my bed taking a nap (and even let me get ready for work while lying on the bed! -quite the breakthrough!).

I actually only have the wet food that the rescue provided. Actually none of it is kitten food so i might go ahead and invest in some kitten food for them. None of them show any interest in the wet food (tried it heated, with KMR etc) though annabelle showed some curiousity about the tuna. I think i am going to wait till everyone is feeling better to start trying to get them to eat wet food.

I hope i am doing the right things. This is my first time fostering and I feel in over my head right now.

Here's a picture of all the babies yesterday....

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momma cat is still drooling (day 2), she hasn't touched her dry food and has only eaten a small amount of wet today (and only when covered with tuna). Could this still be a sign of stress from me taking the kittens away yesterday? Or another blow to her immune system with the virus? Momma can't be handles so i haven't been able to test for hydration.

Not sure if i should sit tight....or call the rescue again for advice!?

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like momma's drooling is due to the calici virus. The director of the rescue stopped by and we tried to get a hand on mom (no luck). But from the looks of it her mouth is swollen and that's why the drool. I'm assuming this is gonna impact her ability to feed the babies? I tried kitty gruel again and Annabelle took to it like a duck on water. No luck so far with Abigail and Archie...maybe when they are little more hungry. It looks like the litten ones are starting to feel better...now just got to get the healing vibes headed momma's way.