urgent is bells contracting?????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bella wella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im not sure how much they should weigh when born i just want to see they are putting on weight as mini me looks tiny, have just been sat with her while she had some food and she let me hold them again, she kind of came up to me sniffed them to make sure they were ok and just turned and started eating again so i think she knows now that in not going to hurt them, how is Lilly tonight? x

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried weighing them this morning  first born who I have named mini me for now is 125g, second who is ginger numb 1 with stripes is 135g  ginger numb 2 is 153g 
Yes these are good weights. The healthy weight range for a newborn kitten is between 90-100g, though, I have seen kittens as small as 75g go on to be perfectly healthy. 

Average daily gains should be between 10-15g. It's okay if they have one or two days with higher or lower gains but ANY weight loss and they should be examined by a vet ASAP.

Getting the daily weight is by far the most important thing you can do for them in the first few weeks, as weight loss is the number one indicator that something is wrong. It can be a sign of an infection or an indication of parasites/worms. It can also be one of the only ways you know for sure that each kitten is getting enough to eat. Yes, you can see them suckling on the outside but you don't actually know how much they are taking in.

Before assuming that it is a lack of milk and supplementing their feeding it is imperative to rule out infection/illness as a cause. While adult cats can tolerate something like fleas, in kittens it is absolutely life threatening. Therefore, in the world of kittens, weight loss = automatic vet visit for the whole litter (including Mom) so that the vet can best determine the source of the problem without you having to make multiple trips. 

To get the most accurate measures try and weigh them at the same time everyday using the same scale on the same surface (changing these things can lead to different results). And, keep a good logbook of where they are each day. These notes can be invaluable in case of an emergency. 

Finally, don't worry about comparing litter mates. They will have growth spurts at different times and some kittens are just meant to be larger cats than others. So long as they are making their individual gains it doesn't matter the size difference between them. 
 im sure im going to keep getting these two confused they look exactly the same. 
It's important that you come up with a way to tell them apart for all the reasons listed above. If neither has a unique marking then you can identify them using artificial items. I personally use the paper wristbands that they sell at office supply stores for concerts. When putting it on make sure you can slip one finger easily between the neck and the collar and, check them every few days to see if they need to be re-sized. You can use different colors or write their name or even just a letter on the bands to tell them apart. 

Other people use newborn hair ties and upgrade to the adult size as the kittens grow. Again, sizing is important- you want it tight enough that it can't be pulled off and ingested but loose enough that it doesn't choke them. Whatever you decide to do follow these guidelines on sizing and don't put any sort of commercial cat or dog collar on them (even if it is meant for kittens). Kitten collars are only meant to be used once they weigh more than two pounds. Otherwise, you risk them strangling themselves. 

bella wella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all, bells and kittys are all doing fine weight gain for yesterday was between 21g and 29g had to recheck as i was surprised by it but yep they are doing really well bells loves going for a run round the house when i open the door to her room and is desperate to go out but am being very careful, i am a little worried as i found out we are moving house next week so she will loose her room so am still trying to workout where i can put her but apart from that everything is going good. I hope everyone is well and will try and keep updates going in between the move x

bella wella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone well moving house tomorrow and Saturday so thought i would post some update pics, bells and kits still doing well and hopefully catch up with everyone next week when hopefully some new kits will be here :-) (Kim and Lilly)

kim81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ohh look forward to seeing how big they gotten ohh lilly still hangin in there im on here all night looking through posts ect I cant believe we like day 67 tomoz don't think they be coming soon they was going mental in her tummy literally all morning and afternoon I read they don't  move so much near birth! the waiting game for us continues :( xxx

kim81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh the pics just appeared they are so adorable! my next doors cat just had litter of 8 for her first other day im feeing a little left out! hope mums doing well too and good luck with your move ill post pics as soon as they come!!!

bella wella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:-0 don't know how I would cope with 8 running round for the next 12 weeks lol, feel so sorry for lilly but they will be here soon you can be sure of that its a great feeling watching them grow and change everyday, bells is good she has been a bit weird at times and gets a bit aggressive towards them if they come out of the basket and starts fighting with them but someone else is having the same kind of problem on here, im a bit worried about having to choose which one to keep the kids all want a different one lol, hope your ok in yourself too

kim81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeh well her other female due in 2 weeks so shes gna have tons of cats haha. I feel sorry for her too shes just sitting there looking at the floor kinda upset look in her eyes I et its lovely yh I read online they do that maybe some mothers more strict than others haha  yeh im going to find it hard im lucky mine are too young it be my other half I have to persuade to let me keep one I pick as he will defo have a favourite hes a big cat man lol im fine only 8 1/2 more weeks for me now :) feeling tired as I cant sleep at night were I don't want to miss lillys birth!