Urgent Help Please

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I have very minimal reproduction experience in cats. Or, any species really.
Cat had kittens first time. 6 kittens total, all doing well. Sixth kitten is a runt and still has placenta attached. Mom cat is not cleaning it at all. Kitten is still dragging around placenta after 4 hours. Kitten can breath and all else is fine.

What should I do?

Kitten is about 20 minutes away but I can go over there if needed.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a wet washcloth and gently wipe the placenta off, cutting the cord if necessary with very clean scissors. Then take the kitten and hold it to a nipple until it latches on. Mom is probably worn out and distracted by the other kittens. Watch the runt carefully, and weigh all the kittens if you can. A postage or kitchen scale will do the job beautifully. If the runt is low weight or falling behind the others, you may need to feed it with KMR (kitten milk replacement) in a small bottle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you. I will let them know

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
I know so little about feline reproduction and whatever the correct word it is for the care of nursing queens and kittens etc.

The Mother cat I spoke of in my prior post had her first litter of healthy fat kittens and is taking very good care of them. The kittens are all fat and healthy and behaving normally.
The mother cat has had diarrhea since nursing. The owner was going to just deworm her, and I have told her to wait on that until I can at least run a fecal on the mom. My question:

Is it normal for a mother cat to have diarrhea while nursing kittens? I am thinking yes because she is cleaning them allot and then there is the stress on her body. But I really don't know.
If the mother cat is dewormed, won't the deworming then be in the milk that the kittens are nursing and cause problems for the kittens? Do people still do routine deworming on kitten litters for round worms?
Mother cat is an indoor only DSH with three legs. All the kittens have four legs. Not that it matters.

Thank you in advance.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Diarrheas during nursing is less common. What is common, is if they ate several placentas, so they can get hefty diarrheas after this. (that is why its wise to stop them eating mothercakes after 4 first). But this stops in a few days.

It depends much on the dewormer (exact brand) if we dare to deworm while nursing. What does your vet says?
Anyway, its wise of you to take a fecal test... Its not always just the common worms...
They can also get parasites from the visiting male, ie father. Especially if it wasnt a quickie, and they shared litterbox.

With inside only cats its not always they deworm... Our older resident didnt got dewormed as kitten, I know for sure because I was present when the selling talks were done.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are not giving her cow's milk/products are they? Most cats become lactose intolerant after growing up and cows milk can cause severe diarrhea. She needs the extra calcium though, KMR (kitten replacement milk), goats milk, and lactose free milk would work, just make sure it IS NOT almond or soy milk.