Urgent Help Please - Interrupted Labour??

Alasia2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I will keep this as brief as I can.

My Bengal gave birth to a kitten at 4.40am today after a stop and start labour from 10pm, kitten coming out tail first after some non productive pushing and only weighing 66g.

She had been in with the stud for a week so was due between yesterday and next Saturday (I had thought the stud owner was doing supervised matings).

Anyway. I can still feel kittens moving, I'm unsure if the placenta was passed as it was dark and I did briefly drop off through sheer exhaustion (waking up every hour last few nights) and she is breathing quite quickly, making an almost sniffing kind of noise.

The most worrying thing is there has been some fairly dark red blood, a few spots here and there where she's been laying but she did stand up about an hour ago and about 3-4 drops came out of her.

I haven't noticed any contractions and am wondering whether to stress her outand phone the out of hours vet, or just watch and wait.

Hoping someone has some advice as my previous girls had easy, fast labours so this is new and scary to me!

Thanks in advance.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pauses ARE common. The usual advice is if she is ok no visible problems, observe closely but calmly wait and see.
Esp as here is the risk the other kittens will be premature if cesarean.

But here she seems in some troubles?

The best advice is prob if your vet is any decent in cat obstetrics you phone and talk it through.

Give her glucose sugar (water with honey) and calcium.
Alasia2018 Alasia2018

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is the delivered kitten doing?

Is it visibly premature or fully done just smallish?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alasia2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No it looks fine, plenty of fur, strong sucking action, very mobile :)

Mum seems fine too, although she now refuses to move from under my duvet and because of the spotting, I've stripped the bed but she's carrying baby round the house trying to hide under beds :( I did try shutting them in the pen she gave birth in (a fabric playpen with mesh doors) but she wouldn't put the baby down and kept trying to get through the mesh with baby in her mouth.

Alasia2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I've done that now, but she kept carrying him round the room and banging against the door with him in her mouth so I was worried the baby would be hurt.

After ten minutes with the door closed though she has now settled under the bed.

Alasia2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

I decided to wait it out overnight and she still didn't have the kittens but the spotting seemed to dry up.
This morning she was yowling a bit, similar to how she was the morning she delivered the kittens, I phoned the vet to get advice and they asked me to bring her in for an examination.

They gave her an internal to confirm nothing was stuck, then apparently saw at least one heartbeat on the ultrasound and sent me home, with instruction that if she hadnt had them by first thing tomorrow she would need a caesarian.

Came home, did my children's lunches, went to give my girl some food as she was refusing to come out from her box under the bed...then heard her making a weird noise as she was eating - like an almost silent meow every few seconds. She finished eating and I put my hand on her tummy, she complained and then seemed to strain so I looked under her tail and there was a head!

I was so excited..until I realised she was pushing but the kitten wasn't moving.

Long story short, I think that kitten is dead as it did open its mouth briefly, but as I tried to get it free it was turning more and more purple :( my girl has been rushed to the vet and I'm not holding out much hope there will be any live kittens...

And, of course, she will need to be spayed as I really don't think I can risk breeding from her again.

Alasia2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's fine.
So final update, no c section needed - the kitten that had been stuck was out by the time my partner got to the vet, but had a growth on the back of its neck that the vet thought should probably have been inside.

So that was unfortunately put to sleep as the vet said it WOULD die anyway. Wasn't breathing right, and my girl was turning he head away from it.

Then she had 2 more that came out with no hassle and are healthy.

Three healthy kittens altogether, thank goodness.