URGENT HELP NEEDED! 1 year three months old male tortie in mourning for other cat

ronandbarry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Basically this is my story: We got two cats (sisters) - called Froid and Neecha -  then three years later (about 9 months ago)  We got another kitten and named him Barack Obama - Barry for short. One month later Froidy was hit by a car and died. Neechy went very quite and slowly began to accept Barry into her home after all the fuss she had put up. Three months after that she was grooming him before they went to sleep. Barry relied on her as his 'mother' and loved her. Although reluctanly, Neecha loved him back. But she was never quite the same as when she had Froid. She put on weight even though I swear I wasn't feeding her any more than usual and she slept far more.

In November 2011 I got a hamster, named her Hermione Granger, Hermie for short, who unfortunately died of old age in Feb this year. I was desperate by then and got a kitten, named Ronald Weasly, Ron for short. Barry was playing with Ron and licking him in three days. I didn't give Barry as much attention as I should have as I was missing my hamster too much, especially only six months after Froid. But I gave Neecha loads as I was so worried she would be next. I was right. in March Neecha was hit by a car and I miss her, Hermie and Froidy more than ever.

But it is all made 100 times worse as Barry is also very quite and hardly ever plays with Ron any more. He is the same as Neechy was and I am sure he is in mourning. Please help me help him to get over it! ...Louisa

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your losses.... :hugs:
For the sake of your remaining cat, I hope he is staying inside now; it is clear you don't live in a safe place for cats to be outside.
Well, kitties will mourn, just like us.... All you can do, is give him extra love, plenty of it, make sure he is eating and drinking- pay close attention to that.... And give him his space.... Feliway plug-ins can help, and so can rescue remedy- you can buy both on Amazon.com....

Shower him with love and attention and give him time... And above all, please, please keep him inside :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ronandbarry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is virtually impossible to keep him inside as we have over 8 acres and he LOVES it. But we live on a road just off from the main one. And what's a feliway plug-in andd a rescue remidy? Thankyou so much for your help...Louisa

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for your losses, and sorry for your cat's losses.

You might consider acupuncture.  My friend (who rescued Ritz) is an acupuncturist (certified of course).  Apropos of a conversation I was having about the death of a cat in a sanctuary I volunteer for, my friend said that acupuncture is quite helpful for cats/dogs/horses in mourning, whether the loss is human or animal.  Depending on the state you live in, non-vets can administer acupuncture; otherwise, a vet specially trained in acupuncture can do it.

Feliway mimics the feline facial pheromone, like the cat does when marking furniture which its face.  Rescue Remedy is a liquid herbal supplement that you add to food or water.  Both calm cats. Feliway is a plug in, 24x7. I used Rescue Remedy on an as-needed basis but can be used more frequently.   

I agree with what Carolina says, extra love, space, etc. 

Good luck.

ronandbarry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou. I give Barry as much love as I possibly can, but half of the time I live at my Mum's and Barry lives at my Dad's.  I will look into the Rescue Remedy. Thanks...Louisa

ronandbarry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please does anyone have any other ideas? ...Louisa