URGENt HELP!!!! Ginny moving kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi folks.
Well we have just handled the babies for the first time since last week. Over the weekend my youngest daughter and her fiance had been iver the back of the sofa a couple if times so that Ginny would recognise a human smell there. We could see on the infra red camera that they were starting to open their eyes, so we decided tonight was going to be the start of the interaction. There was only Jenni, Jon and me in the room and we tempted Ginny out onto the sofa with some treats. Jenni went behind the sofa, talking to Ginny as she did so then gentle brought out the 2nd of the dark babies born, which we have nicknamed Abby (NCIS fans in this house) this is the one that we shall be keeping, Jon and I both gentle stroked them with one finger and Ginny seemed fine with it. Next came the 1st dark one born, who we had called Gizmo, so called because it looked just like a Gremlin with ginger eyebrows. Again Jenni was talking and stroking Ginny. Then Ginny came and sat alongside me on the back of the sofa, watching what we were doing, I kept stroking her to reassure her. Next came Simba so called because it looked like it was born with a slight mane of fur, then came the 2 we haven't nicknamed then finally we had Bubba, this one was the last born and is the smallest.
We only had them out from the area for about a minute each kitten and when we had finished Jenni gave Ginny a handful of treats to reassure her that everything was alright. She then went and gave the kittens a good licking. And they are now all comfortably suckling away. We shall do the same thing again tomorrow night and this time will have eldest daughter Lyndsey in the room too.
We are going to take things slowly and try not to overwhelm both Ginny and the babies, they all seem to have gained weight well, going to weigh them tomorrow night. Ginny is eating well, getting through 3/4 pouches of wet a day and has constant access to dry kitten food, water and also goats milk, which she loves, thanks to whoever suggested that. She also loves raw chicken and beef, so would it be advisable to give her extra amounts of that at the moment? Will hopefully take so decent photos with proper camera tomorrow and will post them in the next couple of days.
Right it's now 3.20am here so going to get a couple of hours sleep before going to work, catch you all tomorrow xx

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well the kittens are doing well, going to weigh them again tomorrow. We had a couple of events over the weekend when Ginny tried to move a couple of them but we put them back and she has been ok since. Both times that this happened there has been a loud noise that we think may have made Ginny think that things weren't right. The first being some loud bangs from a film we were watching. The 2nd being when the girls and Jon were watching a comedy show and were laughing loudly.
Yesterday we hung an new door onto the living room and Hubby and Jon were using a drill but Ginny seemed ok. The door was being hung so that we could contain the kittens in the one room once they start moving around.
They are now 16 days old, and I was wondering when would be the best time to Start introducing solid foods. I was thinking about 25 days, what would any of you more knowledgable readers suggest?
Regards and best wishes to everyone

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In theory they will tell you when they are ready as they will start exploring Mom's food, but that's not always the case. I usually start putting down a plate of wet food for them between 3 and 4 weeks of age, though some kittens don't start until closer to 5 weeks. If they are super slow figuring it out I dab a little bit on their paws and mouth- once they lick it off and realize it's so yummy they become a lot more interested! Remember they will get more on them than in them at first so put something down to protect your floors! Make sure they have access to dry food and water all the time, though it will take a little longer to start on this than it does to start on wet food. 

Once they start on solids is also the time to begin litterbox training as Ginny will no longer eliminate them. Make sure you set up several kitten size boxes (high sided cookie sheets or the cardboard boxes canned kitten food comes in work well) and use only a non-clumping litter. Kittens start their world exploration by tasting everything because their vision still isn't great. Clumping litter expands when wet and if ingested can cause a life threatening blockage. They will have accidents during the learning process so be sure you have a good enzyme remover on hand to clean up messes and prevent re-marking. 

Finally make sure you are starting to kitten proof the room. Lay down on the floor on your stomach and see the room how they see it. Block off any small spaces where they can get stuck, tie up any cords they can chew on, and move items off of low shelves. The seem innocent and harmless now but wait till they get going- nothing is safe! 

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks EB, we have already started looking at how to kitten proof the living room, am going to get some cable tidy's today to hide all the wires. Also got some plywood to block up a couple of holes that we can't get into but am sure the kitty's will lol.

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Had the kittens out again last night, in fact we played with them for about 15 mins, which is the longest we've had them out, before Ginny started getting agitated. Put them back and then a couple if hours later got them out again when we weighed them.
All had good weight gain ranging from 244g to 345g with Simba (1st born) being the biggest and Loki (5th born) being the smallest. Bubba who was the smallest born at 82g is now 265g. They all look really healthy and are getting steadier on their feet.

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Had them our a couple of times last night and was laughing so much at Loki, he had rolled onto his back and hubby started tickling his belly, Loki's paws were going mad, just like he was waving and when hubby stopped he would lift his head and look as if to say" hey you've stopped, why?" it was so comical. I managed to film it on my phone, but don't know if I can download it yet.

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are out. Yes we now have them in the playpen in the living room. Last night we took them out from under the sofa and placed them on a fleece blanket on the middle of the floor and was able to watch them playing and rolling around for about half an hour, Ginny kept coming over and watching them and after a while she decided it was time to put them back under the sofa, so we put them back and then left them alone. Ginny washed them as normal ( something she's done every time we had been handling them.) We then set the playpen up with the blanket inside and left the door open so Ginny could go in and out, which she did several times. Now the bottom of the pen has a lip which was about 3 inches deep and I was a bit concerned that the kittens may try and climb over the lip, so this morning we turned it over ( the lip is now about 5 inches) and covered the top with a blanket so that it wasn't too bright and fetched the kittens out and placed them inside, Ginny went in and out several times while the kittens were exploring. Ginny kept going back behind the sofa just to check the area and after about half hour she settled down and fed the babies. Then they all cuddled up and went to sleep. They have been in there for 8 hours now and Ginny has made no attempt to try to move the kittens back. By being patient and not over handling the babies, I think Ginny now realises we are not going to harm them and is content that they are safe where they are.

Last edited:

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well the transition as been successful, and OmG the fun we have had watching them play has been so amazing. They seem so much stronger in their legs now as they have much more room to move about in. Tonight is weighing night so we'll see how much they have gained. I shall be getting a new phone in the next couple of days and I'll be able to finally put up some pictures myself of my babies.

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last edited: