URGENT - Gas Oven issues

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, over the last several months, I've noticed that my oven (gas), will sometimes take a long time to get up to temperature. At first I just brushed it off as it would eventually get there. But yesterday, after the oven being on for 45 minutes, it still did not get to temp. I turned it on and off a few times, turned on the broiler (which works, the stove top works also), then turned the oven on again, and voila!, the oven kicked in. YAY! and after coming on, it was able to keep kicking in the keep the temp steady.
After some searching, I have a feeling my igniter is going. The igniter will glow, but it does not always light the burner. I still have a lot of baking to do, and it's Sunday, no one's open to get a service call. And even at that I'm sure I'd have to wait for parts...
So my question is. if anyone has experience with this.
IF I can get my oven to kick in, does that mean that the igniter will continue to work while I'm baking as long as I don't turn it off? I would assume that the residual heat in the oven in conjunction with the igniter would allow for the gas to light, as the igniter would still be hot enough as it's not starting from a cold oven..
I just don't want to start baking, and it fail halfway thru.

Thoughts????

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe as long as you can get the igniter to turn on, you're good to go as long as you do not turn it off. I've had problems with my burners not lighting periodically but once on they do not go out on their own unless I turn the knob to off. I'd be more concerned that the oven won't reach the right temperature to cook whatever you're baking properly based on what you wrote but, may as well give it a shot. If you don't have an oven thermometer go out and get one so you can be sure the temperature is correct. Would really stink to underbake or overbake your cookies!

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe as long as you can get the igniter to turn on, you're good to go as long as you do not turn it off
Good to know. Thanks.

I have a gas stove and the oven takes forever to start-I run a teapot and it ignites within a few minutes. is yours gas or electric?
Gas (for both cook top and oven)...How the heck does running a tea pot start the oven??? :headscratch:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
because maybe the gas isn't getting to the igniter so by turning on the top burner-you get the gas flowing-I need to pull it out and see what's going on.

Try turning on top burner-put a pot of water on..then see if the stove will start, you should hear the woosh when it ignites..it's not too loud but I hear it then turn off top burner...no idea why this works-but suspect the gas isn't flowing as fast to the igniter in the oven-so by getting it going by stove top=it may work faster.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to try that trick and see if it works for me too if the oven doesn't start today.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also the possibility of a faulty thermocouple, which is what tells the igniter to turn on and off.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ If you can access the igniter you may be able to clean it with an old toothbrush. If it fails you can usually light a gas oven with a long match - but be careful and get instructions on how to do so safely on your particular oven .

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem Which is more important - a batch of cookies or your life? Do you have any idea if gas is being released while the igniter is not operating correctly? Your gas company - whether propane or natural gas - should have an emergency number that you can call outside normal working hours. Call them!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Jem Jem If you’re just baking cookies, I suggest you put the cookie dough in the fridge, until you can get somebody to come in. And you might find some help on YouTube for your particular oven. I have checked on YT several times, for issues with my oven, my television, and our dishwasher.

Good luck. ‘Tis not the season for oven problems!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also the possibility of a faulty thermocouple, which is what tells the igniter to turn on and off.
The igniter does turn on, I can see the glow, it just does not always get hot enough to release the valve to let the gas out to ignite. At least that is my understanding of what a failing igniter does.
Do you have any idea if gas is being released while the igniter is not operating correctly?
The gas does not release into the burner until the igniter gets hot enough to signal the valve to open (usually 30-45 seconds, but sometimes a couple of minutes). And usually within several seconds after that 30 sec to couple minute heat up, I will hear the "poof" of ignition, after the "hiss" of the gas releasing. It's during the initial heat up that it doesn't get hot enough. Trust me, I'm paying VERY close attention to when the gas releases.

Good luck. ‘Tis not the season for oven problems!
No it is not!!!:gaah: At least I'm not hosting this year, I don't have to worry about the turkey and stuff.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in case you all think I may have blown myself up....I just made about 10 dozen shortbread cookies, and they all came out perfect!
It only took about 4 minutes for everything to get going, and it kept the temp perfect the whole time.
I'm going to get on making my ginger cookie dough, seems my oven is my friend today! :yess:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just going to say this.
This is what happened to my oven (LP). It cost about $100 to have the oven guy come fix it. Had to wait a week for the part though.