Urgent - Feral fight is literally bloody here

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I posted days ago about feeding 5 aggressive adult ferals under our building and you guys helped me out. Thanks.

2 days ago There was a big cat fight, 3 of the adult ferals were involved. after a while of hearing loud shouting and fighting one of them was just sitting calm and not moving a bit. I thought "Yeah, Wise kitty. Don't get involved in that", I later went down to see the most horrific scene I have ever seen in my life and it will stuck in my head forever, The cat's right eye was literally popping out of its face from the fight and was full in blood, also lots of blood EVERYWHERE on the ground around the cat, this kitty really bleed a lot and I don't know for how long. One of the nice neighbors took the cat for a vet but I didn't ask how is the cat now, just too afraid from the answer.

Now, I feel I'm somehow responsible for this.
I feed them on a daily basis at the same time but the food is enough for only 2-3 cats (~200 grams of dry food, I can't really afford more than that daily). These 5 cats together were not always gathered under our building before but since I started putting food for them they stayed there. I know that cats are EXTREMELY territorial especially with these unneutered ferals and I think I've made the territory to be a fight arena for cats to win it.

Is putting no food at all better than making the cats fight to a degree that one cat can literally kill another cat to win the territory? They are big cats and don't seem to be sick or starving for me at all, they look chubby and clean. I was just trying to bond but I think the risk is greater than the reward. correct me please if I'm wrong.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly? If you can’t get them neutered and can’t afford more food, then yes.

But you might want to contact rescues, shelters, and spay/neuter clinics to see if they can help - not just with TNR, but also helping to provide food for you.

Some food banks have pet food banks as well that you might look into.

Until they are neutered, make sure each one has their own bowl and keep the bowls as far away as possible to see if that helps.

If there is any possible way, the best thing you could do is actually be bring “site blockers” for each area where a cat feeds.

This could look Iike medium sized storage totes, without the lid, flipped on its side. Cardboard boxes are an even cheaper alternative!

(You might want to cut some small holes around their eye level while eating, in front, and on the sides, so that they can still ensure they won’t be ambushed, but generally cannot see one another).

Studies show that cats can become extremely stressed seeing other cats while eating - even indoor, neutered cats who get along!

It’s a very vulnerable position for them, but especially a feral, and unneutered ones at that.

But if you can prevent them from seeing one another while eating, you will likely see a decrease in fighting this way.

I understand how hard this is. I have aggressive males to deal with too, and I’ve a lost eyeball and lost a life before. It’s awful. I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with this. It is so very clear that your heart is in the right place ❤

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you had to witness that and yes, it is shocking to the core. If, for one minute, you have entertained the idea that you could have physically broken it up if you had been there, don't even consider it. A hose might do it but never try to insert yourself in a dog or cat fight physically.

As I read your post, I am under the impression that possibly one cat, or maybe two, did not survive. And I am glad that you were supported by a kind neighbor who took the cat to a vet. If you now have less cats and can control the number, you could continue to feed within your budget. However, if getting them fixed is possible it is absolutely the next step.

I have ongoing ferals here and there are always some who are not neutered because they have not been trapped yet, etc. My feeding stations are very far apart, in my back yard area granted, but very spaced (like 40 feet). A spayed female and an unneutered male are currently friends so I do allow them to eat together. If you could do what moxiewild moxiewild suggests it would help.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you certain the cats attacked each other rather than some predator? It’s very possible that something else happened. You could never have predicted how this would go. It is not your fault!
Besides putting feeding areas as much apart as you can, put them at different heights if possible. This will help the cats avoid predators and be separated from each other. Nothing too high but at table top or slightly above where a dog could reach.
I had a colony of over a hundred ferals here and not one serious fight even though there were some that carried wild cat genes. There were arguments and some scuffles but once a male had a real bite or wound, the fight ended in that cat submitting to defeat and it left the area or was chased off. The territory was claimed by the dominant one. Some allowed others to interact. I began a staggered feeding schedule and spread out the feeding areas. I had a feeding station for each group that hung out together. This was very effective.
Small portions scattered around seems like it would give them all a bit to supplement other food sources they can find. The really good hunters in the group may go elsewhere and you will be left with the bed first of the cats. Focus on that.
I don’t know where you are but there are many groups that help with getting cats spayed or neutered. That will ensure that feeding does not lead to bringing more cats. The National Spay alliance is one group here. If you can give a hint of country or state, someone may be able to suggest a place. Spaying and neutering can stop fighting completely exactly for small swats occasionally. If you want to bond, you could try socializing for adoption. That’s what I did. Some were adopted into my home but most went to others. Ferals can be socialized to different degrees. Some become sweet lap cats. There are techniques used to do this if you are interested. I am so sorry but remember, we can’t predict what nature will do. If there ever is an , for sure, cat fight, don’t put your body in the way. A garden hose may work, a loud noise like a car horn may also work. Keep a barrier between you and them if a fight does happen like a piece of plywood. I do think you can avoid further upsets though. Do keep a watch out during feeding times for predators.:alright: Please do keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for your replies.

I have been keeping the streak and hopefully will continue as long as I can. I don't still have a word on the injuried kitty, all I know is that I don't see a cat with a missing eye. Sigh.
The good thing is I don't hear cat fights as much anymore, if there were any, they last for few seconds. Hope they keep it like that.
And I also had my best moments in 2020, I found a stray kitten one day that really wanted to be petted 24/7 and slept on my leg for and kept purring as a machine. the next day, the same kitten showed up with another Persian kitten, they both slept on my lap and purred. So unfortunate I couldn't memorize the moment as it was dark but definitely this is my moment of the year. The kittens didn't show up again and I look for them at the same time everyday but I hope they are just wandering around, or maybe they are afraid of the ferals, since the day they showed up the ferals gang wasn't gathered. Found other cool neighbors putting food in front of their homes just as me for other kittens and I hope they are in that area. In another circumstances they would be living with me.

Are you certain the cats attacked each other rather than some predator?
No there are no predators in the area. It's a residential area and only animals here are cats and leashed dogs with their owners. I hope if the cats have to fight each other again they keep it at hissing level nothing else.

The cutie guy in the attached image is one of the ferals that await me everyday @7pm. They all keep their distance except for him, whenever he hears me he actually stands on my feet and push his coat against my legs, after leaving his scent on me he does a ninja move and jumps to get the food out of my hand even before I put it down. He doesn't give me a chance to even hold the bag. I love this guy and I'm happy I see him daily.
After his food he sits in front of me like in the picture (a nap I guess? ) then goes away after sometime to rule his kingdom. He doesn't though let me pet him although he literally stands on my leg mostly. I often wonder if he is really a feral, or a VERY hesitant stray. I got all the time in the world, he can come for petting anytime :)

Attachments