URGENT: Cat doesn't eat and has tumors

Nina&Pipiou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TLDR: My male old cat Pipiou (about 15yr old) stopped eating, has serious tumors and is doomed according to the vet. He has been prescribed cortison, and if nothing works within 5 days we'll have to put him down. Any advice that could help?

Hi, My cat, Pipiou, is an old male cat. (about 15). A bit more than a month ago, he started eating less. I noticed he was licking his wet food only, not biting it, but was still eating dry food properly. But then in a month he lost a lot of weight. He was slightly chubby and now you can feel his bones. The 2 past weeks he stopped eating completly except licking the gravy from wet food from time to time but nothing more. I tried everything, chicken, liquid food, steak, salmon oil, cat milk. Nothing worked. He isolates in a room (we didn't let him go outside without our watch as we found him on the road disoriented). He still lets us approach him but he's different. He walks nonchalently, sometimes lack balance probably because of the weakness caused by starvation, stays in that room all the time, goes to the kitchen to eat but doesn't eat, feels "empty" and robotic.

We brought him to a vet who only did a blood test (came out perfect). Brought him to a 2nd vet. We were contemplating putting him down if the vet wouldn't find anything as my cat was clearly dying,miserable and nothing was working. The vet touched him, felt very big tumors in his stomach area. She told us he's doomed but gave us cortison as a last attempt to try improve his end of life (can't afford chimio nor surgery, my cat is too old). The vet said if we don't notice any improvement within 5 days nothing will work and we'd have to put him down. Yesterday he seemed slightly better and ate some dry food 3 times, barely anything but it's better than licking wet food gravy, but today he seems having no improvement.

Please, do you have any advice, something I could try to give him the best chances of improvement during those 5 days of test? I love my cat so much and want to try everything to help him, but I can't stand seeing him suffer. Thank you very much

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, do you have something soft and comfy for him to sleep and nap on, maybe a wool blanket or shirt, or even a self warming little bed?

Try some cat harp music on spotify now and then for him in case he's stressed at all or uncomfortable. There's even cat music with purrs in the music.

Also, there might be something here that helps with more tips to try and entice him;

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nina&Pipiou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Furballsmom,
thank you very much for your reply. Yes, we've made a small bed with towels and a piece of clothe in the room he is isolating in.
Will try the music, I've always been a bit skeptical of it but at the same time I read several scientific articles about the effect of music on animals so it is worth trying. And thanks for the link, I'll read it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nina&Pipiou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, given how stressful this whole sitution is for me and my family too, I think we could benefit from the relaxing harp music too ;)