Urgent! 2 Week Old Kittens

Goofball Ivy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something very unexpected has happened. My grandma's cat managed to somehow get out of the house sometime in the morning, has been gone all day, and still has not returned, leaving behind 3 kittens that are just over 2 weeks old.

My grandma and I are wondering what we can feed these guys as they've gone basically all day without food and the vet clinic is closed and they don't open till a bit later in the morning tomorrow. So we need to figure out something to give to the kittens until then.

I tried looking it up online but there's not much there, other than not to give them cows milk or any other type of milk. We have no other kitten food (other than hard food). I had a little bit of soft cat food left so we added some water to that and warmed it up slightly and used a little dropper to use to feed to the kittens to give them a little something into their stomachs. I know it's the greatest, but we literally have nothing else for them, and they've already gone all day without food. I didn't want to over whelm their systems with it either so I didn't give them a lot, but enough so they have a little something to tide them over till morning the best we can.

Any suggestions as to what else we could possibly give them in the morning until the vet place opens would be greatly appreciated.

Mother cat was unusually determined to get outside this morning and managed to get past my grandpa when he left the house and has not come back. She's usually at the door begging to be let in after a few hours, or by supper time at the latest. Considering now it's dark out and 2 hours away from midnight, we think something very wrong has happened since she's never been gone this long before, even when in heat or had other kittens in the past. We do live out in the country, so it is possible something got her, which we are desperately hoping not.

This was a mistake, my grandpa didn't mean to let her out. She was just crazied enough that he couldn't stop her as he's in his 80's so he doesn't have the fastest reflexes anymore. I saw her a few hours before that and I can confirm you'd think her kittens were outside with how desperate she was to get out. I managed to keep her in, but I think you get the picture of how she would've been acting.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're in Canada, I see, but I can't tell what time zone you're in. Even in Pacific time zone, however, it's now approximately 1 a.m., so I'm betting that a trip to a store isn't currently an option.

No milk at all isn't quite right - no cow's milk is definitely right, but if you have goat's milk available it's actually a reasonably good substitute for cat milk, especially if it's raw so that it contains some of the antibodies that their mother's milk would.

Also, you can find homemade kitten formula recipes online, this is one website: https://www.cuteness.com/article/easy-homemade-formula-recipe-kittens. It isn't ideal, but until you can get to a pet store and get some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) it will keep them going. This assumes, of course, that you have the ingredients. If you don't have everything, I'd say go with what you do have and get to the pet store first thing in the morning. Call first to make sure they have some brand of KMR in stock.

Best of luck, and I hope your mama kitty makes it home for her kittens soon. And please keep us informed; we worry.

Margret

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Human milk is ok. If powdered dilute half less than for babies.

Goats milk is good. Sheep milk should be ok.

If you have nothing homemade pedialyte. They wont grow on it but they will survive a while on it.

1 coffecup of water.
1,5 teaspoon of glucose sugar / dextrose
A trifle salt

If you dont have glucose sugar you can use white caro syrup honey or even common table sugar. Just 1 spoon as they are more sweet.

Full fat yoghurt should be ok.

What you tried with is ok too!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mama is most likely in heat again and had to travel to find a male. My female gave birth again less than 70 days after the first kittens. I'll pray that she returns. Those little ones definitely need something to eat, I would get to the earliest opening store and get goat's milk or canned food that could be watered down, they may be old enough to eat a little from a dish, if not give them some with an eye dropper in the sidr of their mouth.Please keep us updated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can use a can of Carnation evaporated milk for now, then get to a pet store right away and buy a can of proper kitten formula such as PetAg. Make sure it is powdered. Use a tiny 1 or 2 mL syringe or dropper to feed them. They’ll need feeding every 2-3 hours around the clock for now.

Here is an excellent video guide:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Please keep us posted!

Goofball Ivy Goofball Ivy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Goofball Ivy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Between everything you guys have said, we should be able to mix something up this morning to feed the kitties until we are able to get to the vet to buy some kitten formula our town is so small we don't have a pet store xP
I'll keep you guys updated as to how things go. About to head out to help my grandma again to mix some stuff up for the kittens.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They had it last time I looked. Why would they discontinue it? I'll have to look next time.

Individual Walmart managers decide what to order for their department so it's possible some Walmarts don't have it.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was recalling a previous post, where someone corrected me when I recommend Walmart for KMR. As for "Why?" I've no idea. And since I have no particular need for KMR I've had no cause to check.

Margret

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just checked at our Nebraska Wal-Mart, they have it. Some things are online only too.I 've seen it at ourfarm supply stores too, like Tractor Supply.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she comes back soon. She was very likely out mating. Can you help your grandmother to get her fixed sooner rather than later? If not, you’ll have more kittens in two months and this cycle will unfortunately continue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Goofball Ivy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I did manage to get some cat milk and fed that to the kittens, but mother cat was also found and after a bit of work, we managed to catch her and bring her inside. She's with the kittens now and they're doing well.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! What are you able to do about her likely being pregnant again? Would the vet you mentioned in your area be willing to work with you on price?