Urge To Urinate - He Can Pee Normally

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello

I may of created something like this here before but I need different advice.

Our vet has done many tests and put it down to stress.

The rest of my cats eat wet food with dry, but bubbles won’t eat wet food. His diet is dry food, with water, but has occasionally have cat milk. The dry cat food is the best quality kitten purina proplan that my cats can eat. Why kitten and that brand is my cats are sick if they eat anything else.

My main question is what can I give my cat to help him pee. I know certain foods can make pee harder, is there anything to make it easier?
Next question, we have antidepressants for his stress but we can’t give him them as they only come in capsules, which stick to his tongue, mouth and throat. How do you give a cat a capsule medication without this trouble.
Why does he have antidepressants -he has “ocd” he hates being dirty and over grooms to the point he has no fur on his back legs and belly area.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of pee problems does he have? A fountain may get some cats to drink more.

You can coat a pill in butter to make it go down easier, although I suppose it might be harder to hold onto it :D. If that fails, you can have a compounding pharmacy make up a flavored liquid that will be easier for him to take. It might be expensive though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He can pee perfectly fine, but he tries to go again after, and again, which is stressful for him.

The vets said it is most likely a mental problem. His medication should help. Is there anything that helps him pee which he can eat/drink?

The problem with butter is it’s not really good with cats?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the capsules can be pulled apart, do that and sprinkle the powder directly into canned food and mix together. If the capsule is solid, then use Pill Pockets or other pill dough to cover the pill and give to the cat to eat. I use bacon-flavored pill dough for my cat's pills. You can also ask the vet if the medicine can be compounded into a liquid or treat form.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please see this article to help with pilling: How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat Many people do have their medications compounded. We did because one of our cats was impossible to pill so we got one of her prescriptions made into a gel which we rubbed into her ear, and the other made into an injectable which we gave into her scruff while petting her and she never knew what hit her :blush:. if you want, you can use unsalted butter to coat the pill and it should be fine. It's not like you need much each time. And many people follow up pilling by syringing a little bit of water just as an extra precaution to keep things from sticking in the throat.

As far as what's good for urinary tracts, "they" say cranberry is good for that, even for cats. There are urinary treats out there for such. Just google "urinary treats for cats" or "treats with cranberry for cats" or something like that and you will find them.

But if you can get his meds in him, you may not need them as all his issues may be resolved :crossfingers:

Since these issues are probably brought on by stress, thus the need for the "anti-depressant", here is another article that might help: Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The how to give a cat a pill only shows tablet form.

I have tried the butter idea, but it still got stuck, though it went down easier.

I am going to get some of those treats that say they help with this problem. I will update you.