Upset stomach on new diabetic diet

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old cat has high blood sugar and i have switched her from mostly dry to 50 50 low carb wet food and prescription dry food. She had never liked wet food much. 50% wet food may not be sustainable.

She seems to have an upset stomach.

I gave her the first dose of insulin yesterday morning, and she was scary quiet and I decided she may have low blood sugar and gave her a treat and some corn syrup and will wait to talk with the vet. I will ask if we can use the freestyle libre to be sure the car has diabetes and it wasn't stress elevating her sugar and fructosamine values.

If she has diabetes, I can't mess around with this. What can I do about the food change upsetting her stomach? This morning she was all perky again after the possible low blood sugar event, and now she's kinda hunched around her stomach and just not so happy, you know. Subtle, but she's off.

She likes the proplan dry food. I am waiting for an order of young again zero carb dry cat food. I feed her Fancy Feast wet food pate. That is the wet cat food she will accept.

Also, in addition to stress, she's an anxious cat, she is on phenobarbitol to prevent seizures. That can raise blood sugar. She took steroids for about 3 weeks to control brain swelling from toxoplasmosis infection, and that can cause diabetes. I tapered that off.

Her blood sugar values were high, over 400. The vet said that is urgent.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Talk to the vet about every single thing you're doing, that you wrote here .. .. :vibes::hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup, I will do that on Monday, but today is Sunday and I thought maybe someone had a tip on the food change upsetting her stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much!