Upset about Katrina and want to help?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These organizations (mentioned by CharmsDad) were posted as a valuable way to help on a dog site I frequent:

American Veterinary Medical Association

American Veterinary Medical Foundation (AVMF)

*edit - if you go to the AVMA site, it directs you to donate through the AVMF - the 2nd link. I posted the AVMA site first because it's the one I'm familiar with, so I assumed that it's the one most readers would immediately recognize as a legitimate organization.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave some money to the ASPCA. Not alot but it's all I can afford right now.

I hope it gets to the animals who need it. There's a link on their site for donations for the animals of the hurricane. That's why I gave there.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
World Care wasn't on theat master list. Here's their link:
http://www.worldcare.org/

I can vouch for this organization - they're based in Tucson. I caught an interview, this morning, on local TV. They are accepting donations of personal care items: soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste etc. but money is the most useful.

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

I gave some money to the ASPCA. Not alot but it's all I can afford right now.

I hope it gets to the animals who need it. There's a link on their site for donations for the animals of the hurricane. That's why I gave there.
They have a reasonably good history in their area, but are not a national organization (this is actually the humane society of the New York City area.) Not sure what, if anything, they will be providing for the relief effort. They do not have a history in national disaster relief efforts.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if any animals from the shelters near the disaster will be transferring animals to other shelters? I'm west of Chicago, so pretty far removed, but would be willing to take on extra cats to make room at the shelters for displaced animals. I just don't know that it would do any good

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave to Noah's Wish, Red Cross, and Salvation Army. My city took everything from our Salvation Army down there already or I'd have given them a ton of clothing too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do not feel that just because you can only donate say $5.00 you shouldn't bother. It doesn't matter the amount because everyone that is donating is donating what they can. Mike and I just made a donation and it was not large by any means, but it was made with prayers that it goes to the victims and does not get hung up in red tape.

I just saw on the news a woman who had passed away in a wheelchair. She was pushed next to a wall and draped with an america flag- it broke my heart. It is the animals I feel the sad for, the ones left behind are likely dead and had terrifying moments prior to their death. I can imagine the procession on the bridge weighs heavy right now.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Please do not feel that just because you can only donate say $5.00 you shouldn't bother. It doesn't matter the amount because everyone that is donating is donating what they can. Mike and I just made a donation and it was not large by any means, but it was made with prayers that it goes to the victims and does not get hung up in red tape.

I just saw on the news a woman who had passed away in a wheelchair. She was pushed next to a wall and draped with an america flag- it broke my heart. It is the animals I feel the sad for, the ones left behind are likely dead and had terrifying moments prior to their death. I can imagine the procession on the bridge weighs heavy right now.
I feel for the animals as well. My friend who is down there conducting his own animal resuce has pulled 20 cats and 10 dogs so far from the mess. I am so proud of him! One little calico had to be given some respitory help. he and his brother did it. got the water clear best they could and she is doing pretty good. It helps that his brother is a vet...but i give them kudos for going in and just pulling what they can.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I donated $25 to Noah's Wish. I might have to eat ramen noodles for a week but it is well worth it. Like Mary Anne said, any amount we can donate will help even if it is only $5.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awesome of your friend & his brother. If we all do what we can, it will make a difference.

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

$5 will buy
-dog or cat food
-milk
-fuel (for moving supplies)
-baby formula
-bread
-food for a rescuer for a day (who may save dozens of animals or people)
-or many other things.

1000 people donating "only" $5 becomes $5,000! Every single dollar makes a difference. The organizations that are providing relief know how to stretch every single penny.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got this in my email from dailycandy.

[size=-1]Imagine: You lose everything. Toothbrush, bed, underwear. Favorite teddy bear, graduation photos, Grandmaâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s wedding dress. Maybe even your entire home.[/size]

[size=-1]The devastation wrought by Katrina is almost incomprehensible. Billions of dollars in damage. Hundreds of thousands stranded. Thousands now homeless.[/size]

[size=-1]We all feel helpless, and we all want to help. The most critical need? Money. Here are a few places to start:

[/size] [size=-1]The Red Cross
What they provide: shelter, food, and counseling.

[/size] [size=-1]AmeriCares
What they provide: relief shipments of cleaning supplies, personal hygiene products, and other basics.
[/size]

[size=-1]Americaâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Second Harvest
What they provide: hunger relief.
They also need: donations of food, transportation, and products (bottled water, utensils, bleach, disinfecting household cleaning items, and diapers).
[/size]

[size=-1]Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
What they provide: food and shelter for pets that have been separated from their owners.
[/size]

[size=-1]Remember that even the smallest donation is a step toward rebuilding.[/size]

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will certainly be donating! It doesn't matter how big or small an amount you can afford, any amount will be helpful to these poor animals.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our company is donating $10,000 and matching employee contributions up to $10,000.

I just saw on the news also tonight that some folks in Vancouver, BC, Canada are taking in rescued animals and they have people in Texas that are helping to bring the animals to Canada. I'm impressed and very relieved that the animals are being thought about as well as all those dear people.

I also would reiterate that we should be careful who we give our donations to since there are so many scam artists out there. Well established and reputable agencies only would be my recommendation as well.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to add, that there are many small, *reputable*, caring businesses that are doing what they can to raise funds to then send on to known rescue groups.

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw Noah's Wish on the news yesterday and just contributed to them. I was in tears watching the stranded animals.
It's just so sad that they had to be left behind. Every little bit will help.
Susan