Upper Respiratory Infection

cattail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gack... My cat (approx. a year old) has supposedly come down with it... She's sneezing, and one eye just began to water. I can't get to a vet - Any recommendations as to what precautions to take? She's an indoor cat. We also have her brother and another cat...

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told to put her in the bathroom let the steam from a shower take her away. Skittles just had Bronchitic. LOL My cat and I took advice from here and the vet and she is now back to herself. No more sneezing. I will say you might have to take her in.

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cattail

Gack... My cat (approx. a year old) has supposedly come down with it... She's sneezing, and one eye just began to water. I can't get to a vet - Any recommendations as to what precautions to take? She's an indoor cat. We also have her brother and another cat...
Hey there. Have you been told that is an upper respiratory infection? When we got Jackson from the shelter they gave us a booklet on URI's. The best thing I would suggest is to give your vet a quick call. I was read that this is easily spread through cats, it is very contagious. It is spread by mucous. So for now when kiitty sneezes I would be sure if there is any mucous to have something to clean it up.

I wish you all the best. I will be praying for you little kitty. Please keep e posted.

Jayme&Jackson

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet asap /// uri s can be highly contagious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, alright. I've gotta research something... I'll get back to this asap... Thanks alot for the replies!!!!!

cats paws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a kitten a few days ago and she was fine the first few days but now she seems to be having a hard time breathing. She is about 4 or 5 weeks old. I found her on a road. It's Sunday and there are no vets open for me to call and I am worried about her.Anyone have any advise on how I can help her breath better untill I can get her to a vet.
Thanks for any help I can get.

jasminesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cats paws

I found a kitten a few days ago and she was fine the first few days but now she seems to be having a hard time breathing. She is about 4 or 5 weeks old. I found her on a road. It's Sunday and there are no vets open for me to call and I am worried about her.Anyone have any advise on how I can help her breath better untill I can get her to a vet.
Thanks for any help I can get.
You can take her into the bathroom with you when you take a shower because the steam might help her to breathe a little better. You really need to get her to the vet ASAP, URI's in kittens could have the potential to get pretty bad. Jasmine had one when she was a kitten and she was really sick.If you can't get the kitten to the vet tonight, keep her in a quiet warm place and take her tomorrow as soon as possible. Try to keep her quiet, she needs all her energy to get better. Good luck with her and bless you for taking such a little one in from off the streets.

jasminesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cattail

I agree with the others. You really need to get her to the vet. She might need antibiotics to prevent any secondary bacterial infections. She also needs to be confined because URI's are contagious. Please get her to a vet ASAP.

cats paws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me advise about the kitten i found on the road. she was having a very hard time breathing this morning so i took her first thing to a vet but she was too sick and she had to be put to sleep.. I dont understand why people have to just drop off animals along roads. dont they know we have shelters for this purpose? Well anyway thanks again for the help.