Updating on Rudi and Little Cow

dunnyboy69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all - haven't been around here much lately, though have followed a few stories (JTbo, you should write a book!) on the site.
There's not been a huge amount of things happen with my two, but thought I'd drop a little update:

"Combined" - both LC and Rudi seem to be eating a fair bit less at the moment. I'm guessing that this is because it's summertime and the weather, whilst a bit changeable, is generally up above 20 C/ 70 F most of the time. I'm surprised they aren't eating more wet food, but with the weather as it is I think part of the issie is that the wet food becomes very attractive for bugs and flies. On the whole, the two cats seem to be coping with one another: most times Rudi will see LC in the distance and ignore, occasional times he'll run and scare her off

"Rudi" - continues to be a very loving, healthy, vocal and friendly boy. He continues to sleep under the hedge more often than not, much to my exasperation ('you've got a kennel, a barn and a Happy Hutch, Rudi, you daft thing!'). He's becoming ever friendlier with more and more people: when guests drop by, he used to hightail it to the other end of the farm but he now makes the occasional appearance and has accepted petting from a couple of other people. He's basically a wonderful farm cat and is now an essential part of life on the farm; even the neighbours have warmed to him (mainly because their young daughter, 11, thinks he's lovely) and let him rub around their legs.

"Little Cow" is still called Little Cow but also goes by the nickname of Sweetheart. She's absolutely definitely coming out of her shell with me. Two weeks ago I had to do a double-take as I saw her sunning herself in the middle of the farm driveway one afternoon: I got to about 25 feet away and had a nice chat with her. And yesterday I had a huge breakthrough: I was walking round the back of the farm and saw her sitting on a pallet in the back barn, in the shade. She was no more than 20ft away and so I sat down on the path (thankfully it was dry) and had a good natter with her for a few minutes. Following all the tips I've read on here, I avoided eye contact as much as possible, and generally spoke to the wall about 10ft to her right! She didn't seem stressed at all and made no move to leave, which was lovely.

In a couple of weeks time, the neighbours go on holiday and will be taking their caravan, currently parked in the lean-to, pretty much in front of her barn door (the lean-to is almost like a portal to the barns - it has 4 doors off it). I'm hoping that, with a combination of nice weather, fun toys, good food and a lot of patience, I might be able to win her over a little more. I'll let you know!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, I'm all smiles! I was just wondering how you're all faring - thanks for the update!

Rudi has really come out of his shell - and great about the neighbors!

I have a feeling LC would have progressed a bit further without Rudi sometimes running her off... on the other hand, watching you interact with him may be the offset to that. Cats are just so funny! One of our ferals turned out to be a stray, and at least he sleeps on the picnic table - though he does love the leaves in the brambles on a really hot day.
I'm forever picking burrs off of him. "Daft" is definitely the word for it.

And yes - the feral cats eat MUCH less during the warmer weather.
They sleep a lot more, and aren't spending all that energy keeping warm. I don't remember how cold it gets there - but here they need a LOT of food to generate that energy to keep warm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dunnyboy69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, LDG.

Yep, fully agree with you that while LC (who I had another nice sit-down and chat with this morning) will have benefitted from seeing me petting Rudi, this has been counter-balanced by him being a bit of a bully at times. If he'd been friendlier to other cats I nogt only think she'd be further down the path but I'd also almost certainly have adopted a couple more ferals. I don't think the UK has a feral issue to the same degree as the US, but most local charities talk of 'working cats for adoption' and I'm sorely tempted - 35 acres is a lot of territory for them. Rudi's wariness of other cats, however, makes me reluctant to adopt - I'm not beating myself up about the original Ruby, but I do fear that getting a couple more barn cats would probably just result in Rudi driving them away.

So it's status quo for the moment. The little interloper hasn't been seen for weeks and, compared to last summer when we had 3-4 regular strays - obviously including Rudi - coming around, activity has been much quieter. A friend of mine has an allotment nearby (about 1/3 mile) and reported many of the same strays last summer as me; however, she's told me that she has barely seen a cat on the allotments this year. This, I'd aver, is good news.

BTW, the English climate is one of very few extremes. Dec to Feb do get chilly, frequently below zero centigrade and good smatterings of snow, but very rarely goes deep into the minuses. But I guess that our generally moderate climate means that this sort of weather feels way colder than it actually is, if that makes sense. What I do know is that Rudi continues to shed as if it's going out of fashion, but he'll doubtless get another thick winter coat again before too long. Which in many ways is a shame as, now that he's down to a short coat, he has a gorgeous chocolatey brown hue to his dark grey coat, particularly in the belly area. Which reminds me to post a splendid pic of the big lad in repose/ belly rub mode in the garden. What a happy boy - hope you enjoy the photo as much as I did taking it!

http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=rvk.jpg

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I see what you mean about his coloring! And just LOOK at that face!
Oh he is a lover, isn't he?
That is one happy (and very lucky) kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh!!! What a great
and such a gorgeous color he is!!! Nice to see your updates and so glad you and the cats are doing well. LC seems to be coming around, huh? This is very good, small steps each day. She is letting you get closer and closer! I know the feeling and how rewarding that can be. I have yet another, long-haired gorgeous black tabby hanging around. I named her Wilma. I only see her and Dixie now. Boo Boo has not been seen for a couple of weeks
. I wonder if Wilma chased him away...
. She doesn't run when I walk out there. But as soon as I get about fifteen feet away, off she goes. She does eat though as soon as I walk away about 20 feet away. I have to call Animal Outreach and get another appt. for this one..... I don't want kittens, and I think it is a female, she just has that feminine look to her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dunnyboy69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the note, Feralvr. And good luck with Wilma!