Update on Sugartoes and babies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Late f/u info: Sugartoes was not adopted by my co-worker, and is still at my house. Tomorrow she will go to a new foster home, as I have trouble getting her to the adoption shows every weekend. I will miss her quiet sweet ways, but she has not been real happy since we got the babies Red and Blue.

Her kitten Smartie lived in another home with other kittens for a few weeks before being adopted. And today I saw new pics of Twinkie aka Rusty. He is about 7 months old now, and looks all grown up. His new owner has his pic on her desk, of him looking out the window, wearing his purple name tag, with some pretty purple flowers behind him. She just is so thankful to have this wonderful boy, and I am so thankful he has such a great meowmie!

I'll be starting a new thread soon. Next week I'll get a new tortie Mommie who has 5 kittens who are about 2 weeks old!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that was more painful than I expected. Poor little girl, she fought going into the carrier this morning, but I am sure she expected the usual. Probably thought she would go to an adoption show and come home at the end of the day. Instead, she went to a new home. I feel very bad, as if I am letting her down, although intellectually I know it is best for her to find a forever home soon.

Here she is with Festus on one of the cat chairs. Those are our old ugly kitchen chairs that the cats love to sit in and scratch at.

Again, in the ugly chair, sitting pretty for a piece of pizza.

Oh, I hope they give her table treats at her new home. And canned food occasionally, with lots of gravy. And I hope she fits in with the other kitties. Here, she took over as topcat pretty quickly.

Best of luck, sweet Sugartoes. Thank you for sharing your beautiful babies with me. BB, Zero, and Kiss will be forever mine, over the Rainbow Bridge. And Twinkie/Rusty, and Smartie have happy forever homes. You have been through so much, and took it all like a real lady. I hope you find your forever home soon, where you are not only loved, as you were here, but beloved. Where you are the favorite, the special one, the apple of someones eye. I will always love you, and wish you only the best.

houmedgal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your sweet story, Beckiboo! I was so sad to hear about the three babies that died, but so happy that the 2 babies and Momma Sugartoes found good homes!! It must have been hard to send her on her way today...I'm sure her new foster meowmy will take great care of her.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Sugartoes first day at her new foster home she did not eat. Her new foster Daddy has her in a separate room, and sits in there with her on the couch reading her books. She would only eat a few bites of kibble for him, although she has primarily been on dry cat food here.

I gave some pointers, including that if he ate his dinner in there, and then let her have the leftovers, she would be in hog heaven. But it didn't come to that. He got her some moist food with lots of gravy, and she is eating very well now. (Good thing, because it saved me a trip to visit her yesterday! She is kind of far from me now!)

I'm glad she is settling in. And I'm still hoping for that forever home for her. Maybe I'll see her Saturday at the adoption show.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Sugartoes is back at my house. She would only eat for her new foster Daddy if he fed her from a spoon. She was not adopted today, so she is back at my house until our next show in 2 weeks.

She seems glad to be home, got a snuggle from dh, had some canned food and is just checking out the house. Anyone need a real pretty tortie?

http://www.secondchancepetadoption.org/

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5359915

I'll keep posting on the feral board about my new feral kittens, and I'll keep up about Sugar there. Hopefully, one of these days she will find a new home!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Sugartoes is eating just fine. And she is sleeping in bed with dh and I. Before, she would sleep on our bed during the day, but never stayed all night in bed with us. And this morning she woke me up at 8 am to get up and feed her. (I am always up by 8am, even on the weekends.) I should have told her that I am off work this week and could sleep in.

So while I am worried about fostering 9 cats, with my two keepers, Sugar is now fine. She thinks she has found her forever home. And I am thinking about giving up fostering. Sugar is such a sweetie. And my former feral Blue is a doll, jumped on my lap this morning for some loving! (How feral is THAT?!?!) I'm starting to want to keep Sugar, Red, and Blue. And that is just because the kittens are too little to play with much, I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be wanting all 11. Maybe I'll just keep some, and retire from fostering.

Plus we want a new GIANT breed pup-possibly a Newf. So maybe I'll just keep the best kitties, send the rest on, and switch to a puppy.

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats choose us, don't they. Although the need for foster homes is great, sometimes the bond we have with our fosters is too great to be broken. The poor things, they have been thru so much, so many changes, and we are the only real love they have ever known. I have fostered dozens of cats and kittens, and a few have remained. I don't believe I am the only one who can love them, I just think sometimes it is a perfect fit.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's smarter than I am, thats for sure! She can stay if she needs to, but I'm not taking her off the market yet. She growls at Red and Blue, and just doesn't really like them. But I don't know if I'll take her to any more adoption shows. Poor old girl, she must have had some rough times in her past to be so insistent on staying here. LOL! She is the easiest of all my cats-never makes a mess, and just a quiet constant companion. I really never intended to collect one of each litter of cats. That can get overwhelming pretty quick. I'm thinking about quitting anyhow...too hard to give some of them up, and then others like Sugie just won't go! Silly girl!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by olskoolnodoubtr

Did you ever get the results from the vet?
The necropsy on the kitten showed nothing. There was no conclusive cause of death. I believe Sugartoes was simply allowed to have too many kittens too close together.

The two babies who survived found good homes. And like I said, Sugartoes may end up staying here. However, I don't think she is well suited to fostering. I think she would be happier in a more stable home environment. Somewhere that doesn't have new cats coming and going all the time. She is a fine little cat. If she needs to stay here she can...but I have hopes that one of these days, someone will call, needing a sweet tortie girl.