Update on SKittles

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pondwader

In regards to spaying and milk production... it can affect it, sometimes it isn't much of a problem and sometimes it is a huge problem. It is a complicated system, but to sum it up the hormone prolactin needed to lactate (produce milk) is not produced by the ovaries, it is produced in the pituitary in the brain,(it does a lot more than just help mammals lactate) but it cannot function alone to produce milk, it works synergistically with estrogen, which is produced by the ovaries. The ovaries and uterus are removed when a cat is spayed, but I think sometimes there is enough estrogen left to get through nursing.... and sometimes there is not.

Sorry... don't mean to bore you.... LOL
That is very interesting, and makes sense. That is probably why the vets don't usually do a c-section and spay together...hang in there Jenny...you will have kittens, soon!

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, although I have not posted, I have been coming home from work and reading this for the past few days... like since the first or second day. all my hopes go out to you... for your's and skittles sake! Can't wait to see kitten pics!

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is 5pm she is still in the closet and I must say in a very mean mood. She meowed a few times but I dont see anything yet... She lays all over the closet so am sure I will have cleaning up duty to do.. I tried to see the back of her but she clawed me
I am using my night cam so there is no light to bother her with... I hope she does ok and I hope this is it if not she isnt going to be a happy camper these days....
waiting on the vet due to call at 5pm.....

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She most likely enjoys it being dark and private, but when she gets going you'll need to have at least a dim light on so you can see clearly in case she needs help

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eeek! I wonder why she's had the sudden mood swing...do you sense she's in pain? Any more discharge? I hope everything goes off without a switch tonight for Skittles. Does she act like she still wants you near, or does she seem more solitary?

Hmmm...interesting.

amy jo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Rochester NY in a 2 bedroom apartment.
When mine had trouble, she came out of her nest and right to me. Skittles and you are very close, I think she will come to you for help. And if she has problems, she will make a sound that you will recognize as pain and you will know. I don't mean to sound scary, but you will know don't worry Jenny. You are going to do fine.

Is everything okay there? We would love an update.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5:30 she is still in there nesting and she is licking so am sure she is preparing... I am not sue on the contractions because it is dark in there.... She seems ok. I am also sure she will come to me if she needs me... She is staring at me we can see each other but I can not see her body...

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Promising, indeed. I just hope you can bypass the whole c-section thing if you can...remember, the gestation period can be as long as 70 days. What day are we on, anyway?

mommaoftwo2006

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

5:30 she is still in there nesting and she is licking so am sure she is preparing... I am not sue on the contractions because it is dark in there.... She seems ok. I am also sure she will come to me if she needs me... She is staring at me we can see each other but I can not see her body...
is she licking constantly (non-stop)? if so i would turn on the light you may have a kitten in there. Moe never made a sound while giving birth and if it wasn't for her hiding and licking i would have never known.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't that be exciting? If she's not too hostile-acting toward you, maybe you could check her patoot for discharge, swelling, or other general wierdness...but only if she'll let you! You don't want her deciding to hold them kittens in any longer!

(Did I just say "them kittens"???? What kind of grammar is this???????? hahaha)

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I just re-read that she tried to claw you the last time you tried checking her patoot, so that idea is probably out the window. Nevermind!!!!

I do believe we're having kittens now!

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 6:13 she was in there but came out to potty that was it... now she is in the box on the bed..... Her area looks longer to me which is good I think.... LOL am no expert. SHe is puring and really loving on me...

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
please oh please let mom of 3 & skittles be busy havin babies!!!
will check back before bed. Good vibes & love heading your way.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

it is 5pm she is still in the closet and I must say in a very mean mood. She meowed a few times but I dont see anything yet... She lays all over the closet so am sure I will have cleaning up duty to do.. I tried to see the back of her but she clawed me
I am using my night cam so there is no light to bother her with... I hope she does ok and I hope this is it if not she isnt going to be a happy camper these days....
waiting on the vet due to call at 5pm.....
I don't know if it is the same for cats as for people, but when women in labor get FOUL it means they are in transition, getting ready to push. You are doing the right thing, Jenny, to let her set the pace.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she did take a few sips and is now back in the closet I take it is more comfy for her in there..... The kids are playing she am sure can hear it I bet she holds off till 8 At 8 I think I will tell them they can watch a mivue till 9 if they are quiet...

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in for an update.....No mini-Skittles yet I see.

Best of luck to the mum to be.....its got to be baby time soon!

Hope your ankle is better momof3!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd be fairly foul too, I think. Especially with 9+ babies in there belting my uterus while another is fighting it's way past the others to get closer to the birth canal...does NOT make for a pleasant momma cat, I would think.

But now she sounds sweeter, which can also be a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.