Update on Saffire - Aggression worse

jenntigercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Saffire's aggression has gotten worse. It is to the point where if she even sees pumpkin she will go after him. She has also started attacking my legs, biting cause she has no claws. It has come to the point where they are separated no matter what. They have been switching rooms. Pumpkin comes in the bedroom with me at night while Saffire is in the main room. Then in the morning she will go into the bedroom and he gets the rest of my apartment to be in. I have been playing with her and making sure she gets enough attention. She has destroyed a dog travel pen by tearing holes in the mesh with her teeth just to get to him.. She has become very high strung as well and yowls constantly. I am waiting to hear back from the vet about the possibility of putting her on prozac or valuim. I have tried feliway with no success as well as switching out bedding so that they can get used to each others scent. I really don't know what else to do. I can't have her constantly going after pumpkin because it stresses him out and aggravates him IBD as well as his FLUTD. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jenn

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How much can you find out about her past?  I know you think that her previous owners declawed her because they thought she was difficult, but did you get her from a rescue?  Can you find out how recently she was declawed?

It could be that she's in constant pain .

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenntigercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did get her from a shelter. I know that when the shelter adopted her out to the family before me that she had all of her claws. When they returned her back to the shelter because the wife developed severe allergies she was completely declawed. I also know that they had a german shepard that she kept attacking. I don't know how long she was with her previous family but I can find out. The declawing was at least a year ago cause I have had her for three months and the shelter had her for three months before that. She is sensitive about having her feet touched but will play normally batting at and attacking her toys. I have thought about trying a thunder shirt with her and seeing how that works. I will see what other information I can get from the shelter.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too believe she is probably in pain. Being declawed at her age is horrible (horrible at any age, but as an older cat, really horrible). She may too just not understand why she can no longer claw. That, combined with frequent rehoming and returns to the shelter have made her a very insecure cat. The trauma may take many months to reverse. I'm guessing the buspirone had no effect? I would definitely talk to your vet about trying something for pain.

What kind of play does she get? Having good routine play time will help build her confidence. Using wand toys such as the da-bird or similar work well. Also redirect her to these toys when she tries to grab your leg. Unfortunately, biting is a side effect of declawing. You can also use these same toys to redirect her when she is trying to attack your other cat. She needs to feel like she owns your home. Cat trees, window perches, or staggered shelves will give your other cat places to escape to if need be. May also help her "own" something.

Have you tried feeding them together on opposite sides of a closed door? A towel with both their scents on it, placed under the door with half on each side, and feeding them on top of it has helped some cats learn that their combined scent is good. You can also use treats, catnip, or toys on the towel. Anything that makes her feel good when she's near his scent.

I am glad you are determined to help her. I hope you won't give up on her as you are probably her last hope of a happy life. Cats do eventually learn to live together, but it takes time and patience, and with the tough cases, as yours is one, could take quite awhile. Thank you for taking her in.
Please keep us posted on her progress or lack of, as there are always things to try.
Good luck

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenntigercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She gets a good 45 minutes of play a day. Yesterday she didn't get any because it was just to hot in my apartment. I don't have ac in the main room but have a standing unit in my bedroom. There are plenty of perches and places where she can get up high. I have wand toys as well as crinkle balls and cat nip toys she likes them all. I have been using toys to distract her from biting me and it has been working. Using toys when she goes at him has had no affect as she is too focused on him. I have fed them both near the door and there is no problem she has a very high food drive. Problem there is that I can't feed her all the time or I will end up with a very fat cat. I will talk to the vet about the possibility that she is in pain from being declawed so late in life.