Update On Playing With Kittens

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the kittens at my veterinarian from the born-to-feral-colonies went to their forever homes for Christmas. This was not without some excitement however.

The tabico girl and tabby / white boy were put in carriers, put into car. Car gets to bottom of driveway and the woman walks back to the vet's and says, "One of the kittens is loose in my car. Could you help me catch it?" This is Friday. Only vet and vet tech are there, with a full waiting room and phone endlessly ringing. Kitten has gotten under the dashboard. In the end one of the people waiting to see the vet disassembled the dash and pulled the kitten out. While first denying everything, the little girl finally sniffles, "I only wanted to pet it." and admitted opening the carrier.

What's left are the two older grays and a little black and white. But wait, there's another one!

On Friday someone trapped a young long haired orange girl kitten and brought it in, trap and all. When asked if it was friendly they said they had no idea.

Today I was giving skritches and getting purrs, air kneading of the paws. Miss Marmalade, as I was calling her, even let me comb her fur while she lay in the cage. She's easily going to find a home.

I mentioned that Mr. Poe and Domino, while very active and eating well, have occasional dry sneezes. I thought it might be over-excitement since yesterday we turned them loose and gave them run of the whole house except for the basement. (Mist, my old lady cat, is horrified. Thinks they are my worst idea ever. She spent this morning under my bed, and spent a lot of time in her cave-like cardboard box. Eating, but not as enthusiastically as is her wont.) Having seen mention of it here on TheCatSite, I asked the vet tech if lysine would be a good idea. She said it couldn't hurt. I was about to ask if I could buy it at my pharmacy when she gave me a lysine spray intended for cats! Supposed to be palatable, one pump is one ml. Maybe I'll give some to Mist also. What do you think?

So several kitten off to their forever homes (including Domino and Mr. Poe who now live with us) and one new one in. Considering our East Coast snowstorm and today's howling winds Miss Marmalade is a lucky little girl whose home will also turn up - but not here!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, that little girl must have felt so bad. All she wanted to do was pet her new kitty that she was probably SO excited for, and she ended up causing a scene by letting him out.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The l-lysine helps with the immune system and as the vet said, it doesn't hurt them. I give it to Carly to help keep her herpes under control. It might be a good idea to help the old girl with the stress.