Update On My Husband's Health

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted a while back about Paul's diagnosis of Merkel Cell Carcinoma - a rare and aggressive skin cancer. His started as a bump on his head. He had surgery on June 21 and skin grafts covering the area that was operated on. Healing well, but discovered a new bump, which is common with this aggressive skin disease. His surgeon and the radiology dr conferred and rather than do more surgery to remove the new growth, he is scheduled to start radiation this coming Wednesday. Will do it 5 days a week for approx. 6 weeks. This should hopefully destroy any growths, but it will be an ongoing battle to contain this horrendous skin cancer. I have been in touch with many people on a support group who have been very encouraging. Our surgeon is amazing and very supportive. He has a patient who had the same thing in the same place Paul had his (scalp). 3 years later after radiation the patient is clean. Let's hope and pray for the same results. Need all your prayers and support.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You have my full support and prayers. :hugs: My DH went through radiation for a different type of cancer 2 yrs. ago so I can relate and appreciate what both of you are going through. Thinking of you and sending positive vibes plus healing thoughts your way. :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Neely. I know that you can relate, having been through this. Paul is a bit concerned about radiation, but we have been told that he will probably experience something like a sunburn reaction, and since it is on the head/scalp area, he might have a sore throat. Small price to pay for recovery! How did your DH react to the radiation treatments? So far we have found the dr to be amazing.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Neely. How did your DH react to the radiation treatments? So far we have found the dr to be amazing.
I just want to preface this by saying DH had a different type of cancer and every individual reacts differently. That being said, he went through 9 wks. of radiation. There were some bumps along the way and residual effects but as I said he had a different cancer. He is doing much better and, yes, there is a sunburn reaction. I made him get a 2nd opinion and so glad I did. :wink: We both absolutely love the 2nd doctor, i.e. very knowledgeable and professional. Anytime you need a shoulder to lean on or someone to listen please feel free to write. Best of luck to your DH and you! :alright:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Neely. Your support means the world to me!

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Pam. Radiation starts on Wednesday. Can't wait to get this started and look for good results. Our dr is very encouraging and we have a lot of faith in him.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sending you prayers for healing in your husband. Having a daughter who fought her first cancer 22 years ago and another one since, I understand it can be a roller coaster. Stay strong. Seeking support from others who have experienced similar situations is going to help you. Lots of hugs and prayers.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your thoughts. Starting radiation tomorrow. From what I've read on the Merkel Support Page it does wonders. Trying to be optimistic!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Starting radiation tomorrow. From what I've read on the Merkel Support Page it does wonders. Trying to be optimistic!
We'll be thinking of DH and you tomorrow. Please check back when you have a minute to let us know how Paul is feeling. Special thoughts to both of you. :hugs: