Update on Mister (Genever's boyfriend)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for your support and ideas and everything on this. Where was I... well he hung around for most of the afternoon after I took him to the vet, so he wasn't mad at me. But I didn't see him all weekend. We really are thinking he's probably someone's, and even though I hate to see a cat roaming around, not identified as someone's, I also hate to steal someone's cat, and BF is very against stealing someone's cat.

I do like the collar/note idea, the paper collar is even better, then I don't have to go buy one. BF was kind of put off by that though, he doesn't want me to upset people, and then they have my phone number. I told him I wouldn't lecture them or anything (even though i want to!), just say 'OK, I won't take him in then since he's got a family. Thanks for letting me know.' In reality though, I am really thinking he does have a home, or else I would expect to see him more often, and more often at night too. I only saw him once at night.

So, as much as I love Mister and want to steal him, I think we are going to let him be, be friendly to him when he visits, give him a snack or something, and look in the shelter for our new addition.

Assuming he'll still come around every now and then, I'll try to get some more pics and post them. He is a cutie.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahh, that offensive vet smell. My cats that haven't paid a visit to the vet that day treat the poor cat that has like a hated enemy with a bad case of body odor. It will pass, when that horrible vet visit stink (that people can't even smell) goes away.

Don't feel like poop! You are just trying to do the right thing and it's hard to know what the right thing is in this situation. You deserve a round of applause!

And as for the third statement above, I know how you feel. We took our RB kitty Smoke to the vet, thinking he was a barn cat from the horse farm behind us. (We called the farm owner prior to taking Smoke to the vet and he confirmed that there were actually several cats with Smoke's unusual appearance living in his barn. They weren't really his cats, he explained, he just fed them. And no, he said, he didn't mind if we wanted to take one to the vet.) Smoke was neutered, but again, we figured someone had set out a whole slew of Nebulizer cats at the barn. We called them Nebulizers due to their remarkable appearance to rare Nebelung cats (Nebelung is a German word meaning creature of the mist.) Anyway, we took care of Smoke's health needs and brought him into our home. He wouldn't stay inside full time, but Speck, a kitten at the time, loved him. We were devastated to find Smoke dead beside the paved road behind our house one day. We concluded that he probably belonged to a family some distance away across that road, maybe liking our home better (cat paradise), but still loyal to his original owners. Speck mourned over Smoke for what seemed like forever and it was heartbreaking.

Many blessings and good luck.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I think you're making a wise decision not to steal somebody else's cat just because he's allowed outdoors. I often wonder how many people who are grieving for a lost pet are in that situation because somebody simply decided "(s)he'd be better off with me". I personally find it unconscionable.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I think you're making a wise decision not to steal somebody else's cat just because he's allowed outdoors. I often wonder how many people who are grieving for a lost pet are in that situation because somebody simply decided "(s)he'd be better off with me". I personally find it unconscionable.
Thanks. That's pretty much the conclusion we came up with.

He was in the yard a little while ago, hanging out, being his cool self.
We'll just stay friendly neighbors.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

No offense intended at all to the OP, but I also wonder this. Our Gus was let out on accident by a friend of our son's 2 years ago, and never returned. I still wonder if someone, intending to be nice, took him in even though he had a collar on (though it could have come off somehow). Our son still grieves his missing cat, two years later, and brings him up occasionally. He was a beautiful cat, so I don't blame anyone for wanting to keep him, but we miss him.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Erica decided not to adopt him.

Erica - I just want to say - they'd have a phone number, but not an address or a name. We have ferals that come and go - they're here for a few days, disappear for a few days, are back again... I know they're unowned cats. Just saying.... if he needs a home, it would be nice to give him one, especially as Genever already is or wants to be buds with him.
I respect any decision you make, and if this is it, I do understand.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Erica decided not to adopt him.

Erica - I just want to say - they'd have a phone number, but not an address or a name. We have ferals that come and go - they're here for a few days, disappear for a few days, are back again... I know they're unowned cats. Just saying.... if he needs a home, it would be nice to give him one, especially as Genever already is or wants to be buds with him.
I respect any decision you make, and if this is it, I do understand.
IMHO there is nothing to lose by trying to find out.... or... if you are not comfortable in giving your phone #, you can ask them to write you a note and send it back on the collar, this way it is 100% confidential. At least you would find out, and will no longer wonder...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

IMHO there is nothing to lose by trying to find out.... or... if you are not comfortable in giving your phone #, you can ask them to write you a note and send it back on the collar, this way it is 100% confidential. At least you would find out, and will no longer wonder...

You can also set up a temporary e mail account and put that on the collar. Once you've heard from them (if you do) you can delete the account.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to bring this up again...

I didn't see Mister all weekend, but I did see him briefly in the mornings everyday since Monday.. And just now I was out to water a potted plant on the patio thing, and he ran up from out of nowhere! I didn't see him but he was yelling Here I am!!!! Genever always wants to come out when I go out so she was right at the screen door and puffed up when he went up to the screen to say hi. But no hissing or anything.

Anyway, I thought "Hey, I can feed him and get rid of some wet food I tried yesterday that Genever snubbed!" (she only eats Wellness beef & chicken and turkey. i don't know why i ever try other brands or flavors.) So I went in and got it and put a dish out for him. He sniffed it and walked away. Authority turkey & giblets. Can't be that bad, can it?
One other time I fed him G-snubbed Authority beef. He ate some of that but didn't scarf it or even finish it. So he's not starving. Another reason I think he's someone's.

He is a sweetie, but we'll just have to be neighbor friends. Thanks for your support and help, and I hope I'm not too much of a disappointment because of my decision.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I first started living at my last condo there was a cat who used to hang around at the dumpster. A neighbor fed him and I also fed him.

We both thought that he was a stray. He was wearing a flea collar that was so tight I had a hard time getting it off.

He disappeared after the first snow then reappeared the next spring. For the next two or three years he would disappear in the winter then pop up again in the spring. He would visit me almost every day and I fed him even thought I suspected that he had a home.

Eventually he stopped coming by. I don't know if he decided that he was happy at home, had found another place to go or something bad had happened to him.

I didn't have my own cat at the time and I did enjoy his visits. So I would say if Mister wants to visit there is no reason to discourage it.