Update on Merlin/other cat situation

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday we picked up another Russian blue mix kitty but it wasn’t the one we have planned at the beginning. Her name is Ruth ( for now) and she’s a 1 year old gangly girl. She was already freaked out by traveling with 18 cats and just as many dogs in a van, so when we picked her up, she screamed and clawed at the carrier the entire way home. Peed herself, poor baby.
Merlin freaked out when he heard her screams at the door and when I carried her to the room. He still sat at the door, uncomfortable and scared but curious. Of course, she got out and growled at the door sensing Merlin’s presence. Then she heard my husband come in and growled some more. Who likes a strange man in the house? 🤣 But when he came into the room, she immediately went to him to be petted.
Later it followed by more hissy fits and more growling sessions between her and Merlin.
Merlin is not entirely happy to share his house yet. I can see that he is very nervous, a little pissed off and unsure of what is happening here. Why is this creature here? But he still sits at the door.
She isn’t sure what to do in the room either. Drinking water for the most time. I never seen a cat consume so much fluids in one night. And clawing at furniture and the rug, even though I showed her the scratching post. I don’t think she slept at all just yet.
This morning it seems a little more calmer both with Merlin and with Ruth. And I need coffee 😵💫

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor girl, it’s sounds like she has been through a terrible ordeal. She may not have drank anything during that whole trip and that’s why all the water drinking now. And the clawing and scratching is just her letting some of her anxiety and stress out. I hope that you can give her a quiet place away from your other cat so she can relax and de-stress. Then you can start slowly introducing the two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The poor girl, it’s sounds like she has been through a terrible ordeal. She may not have drank anything during that whole trip and that’s why all the water drinking now. And the clawing and scratching is just her letting some of her anxiety and stress out. I hope that you can give her a quiet place away from your other cat so she can relax and de-stress. Then you can start slowly introducing the two.
Oh absolutely, she’s in a separate room with everything a cat needs. We gave her hugs, kisses. I emailed the owner of the cattery to ask what her situation was like there, and she told she was fine with other animals there. So, with time she’ll definitely be ok.
Don’t let the angry bird look full you, she’s a sweetheart 😌

IMG_5079.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't even think about an introduction for several days. Your girl went through a traumatic experience during transport. Consider this time as an "introduction to your safe space," and worry about the two cats after that!

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh, it takes me so long to answer! I'm sorry about that. We are having a rough time in our house. Skye came on Fri 13th (jokes on us) and her one ear was super crusty and hairless, she had a few spots near her ears that looked like sores. The lady from the cattery didnt help in any way to clarify that. I asked for Skye's history. But the answer was "the cat is healthy and that's it". Well, ok, thank you for nothing. So, I bought anti scratch and antimicrobial spray and started treating her. While Merlin started to have digestive upsets for a good week. He was so weird about the new cat. And I had to take care of that. And then, I found a bald crusty spot on his leg. And yesterday I found 2 sores on both of my arms that look like a ringworm. It's too late to guess what happened but both cats are quarantined. I'm figuring out the possible routes we can take with this to treat them while having an overwhelming urge to cry and pull at my hair.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I found 2 sores on both of my arms that look like a ringworm. It's too late to guess what happened but both cats are quarantined. I'm figuring out the possible routes we can take with this to treat them while having an overwhelming urge to cry and pull at my hair.
I'm very sorry but thought this TCS Article might have some information to help you with treatment and cleaning advice:
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] - TheCatSite
Good luck!

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry but thought this TCS Article might have some information to help you with treatment and cleaning advice:
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] - TheCatSite
Good luck!
Thank you for the article! And for your support! I’m freaked out that I have both cats to treat and myself too. But I’m also very determined to get our household back to normal ways. My husband on the other hand, told me not to touch them for a few weeks and let him do what is needed because he is the only one who isn’t infected.

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, that was our previous cat, Neely, a torbie (part tortie & part tabby). She was one heck of a diva too! I bet she would have given your Merlin a run for his money. :lol:

This is our Persian boy, Carleton. We rescued him from a hoarder and he's a true love bug.
View attachment 461509
I love your boy! He is truly adorable!