update on Maddie...............

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the help!!! I am looking at all the links that you've shown me and talking with DH about them.I'll let you know if we get one of them.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please do!!! I'll keep my eyes peeled, and I'll be sure to post any new ads as I find them! I'll be anxious to see if you've found the basset of your dreams!

Unfortunately, basset hounds are a breed that end up in shelters a lot...that's simply because people don't know what they're getting into before bringing those sad eyes into their homes. Knowing what to expect before getting a basset ensures that it's the right breed for someone, and there are lots of great online resources. I do recommend joining www.dailydrool.com if you're serious about becoming a "basset slave"...it's a fabulous resource, and the people on it are WONDERFUL!!! Bassets are really a breed that stands apart, in behavior, appearance, etc. They train quite differently than other dogs...and by differently, I mean NOT EASILY.

The top reasons why these houndies end up in shelters and rescues is:

*The amount of drool. Not all drool, but many drool A LOT. It is many a basset that can sling a string of drool 6 feet up your walls and cupboards, just from shaking his head.
A lot of people really find this disgusting...me, I find it rather charming!!!

*The distinctive "hound odor." Some bassets have the classic hound smell, which can range from non-existant, to mild, to OMG!!! A lot of this is their ears...they need to be cleaned a minimum of once weekly to prevent infection. Ear infections are common in this breed, and I think you can understand why.

*BEHAVIOR. Ever owned a dog that can open your fridge, drag out the contents, and have a feast? Or how about a dog that can "counter cruise" for Thanksgiving leftovers? Or a dog that can artistically tip the garbage can over, for a tasty morsel? Bassets are largely food-driven dogs...and a fat basset is a basset prone to spine and leg problems. They must be kept trim and fit. And a basset who doesn't want to walk (and they MUST be kept leashed at all times, or else they'll follow a scent to the end of the world), becomes what is called a "flat basset." They'll simply lay down on the sidewalk ANYWHERE, and take a snooze. Try arousing a 65 lb. dog from a deep sleep, to keep them moving!!!
Bassets also take much longer to housetrain...not because they're not smart, but because they are a bit more concerned with satisfying themselves. And a lonely basset will HOWL. And HOWL. And HOWL. They fart, they snort, they often confuse themselves for "lap dogs." Oh, and they can't jump off of furniture, out of a car, or climb lots of stairs...unless you're asking for herniated disks, spinal problems, or leg problems...so be prepared to do a lot of lifting.

*Bassets aren't small, as you already know. In fact, they can be quite huge. Females are a tad smaller than the males...usually between 45-55 lbs, and the males can range from 55-75 lbs., if not more sometimes.
That cute little basset puppy (aka Rita...lol), will grow to almost it's full adult size by nearly 5-6 months.

Anyway, hope that helps...to me, basset hounds are FABULOUS family dogs, and most do exceptionally well with cats. They generally love children, and offer some of the most unique entertainment and comedy you will ever know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL!!! I found about the drool when Maddie was here.It was quite fun to watch her sling it and the kids try to duck being hit with it.LOL!!!
But, she showed us what Basset love is all about.I am sure that somewhere out there that *special* Angel is waiting for us.It's just up to us to find her or her us.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we call Athenas drool her jowel juice. LOL and i am constanly checking for it..and boy oh boy dont let anyone tell you bassets arent fast..Athena does the Bassett 500..Alot