Update on Callie (with Bloodwork Numbers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just got a call from the vet and Callie's bloodwork is horrible! We knew that, though, since she's been feeling like crud.

CREATININE: 22.4 (Normal is 0.8-2.3)
BUN: 183 (Normal is 15-34)
Potassium is elevated 6.2 (Normal is 3.9-5.3)
Phosphorus is elevated 14 (Normal is 3-7)

The vet recommended bringing her in and giving Sub-Q fluids twice today. Once in the morning when she arrives and once in the afternoon before we pick her up. We'll probably do this for a few weeks and then see how she responds before deciding if we want to do this at home or continue taking her in to the vet.

When Callie goes today, she will also get another Cerenia shot to settle her stomach.

The vet also recommended Tums (yes, Tums...How do you spell relief?) to help bind the phosphorus so it's not absorbed into the body. The vet recommended 1/4 tablet twice a day rather than going with a Rx phosphorus binder at this time.

The vet is also going to give us a prescription for the Royal Canin renal food so I can go to PetsMart during my lunch time and pick up a bag since I'd have to wait for them to order it.

So, that's where we stand right now.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry the news isn't better. I know nothing about CRF, but just hope things start going more smoothly for you all very soon.

C

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

So sorry the news isn't better. I know nothing about CRF, but just hope things start going more smoothly for you all very soon.

C
lots of

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So sorry the news wasn't better. But it does sound like you and the vet have a good plan in place for helping her get through the next few weeks. for improvement soon!

Will you have to do regular bloodwork to monitor her numbers?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry Callie didn't get good news at the vets today

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Holy cow! Those numbers are pretty bad...I'm surprised she didn't give you some other symptoms other than what she did. Lucky you caught this when you did. Hopefully after awhile you'll be able to taper off the twice daily sub-qs to something more manageable. Have you ever done sub-qs at home? It's really quite easy. There are plenty of people here on TheCatSite who never thought they'd be able to do them and found that they could. We are currently giving Sven sub-qs only once a week or so, but that's all he needs right now, thankfully.

You might call Petsmart before going to pick up the Royal Canin. Not sure they will carry it. We have to get ALL Sven's prescription (dry anyway) renal food from different veterinary offices. (as I recall, I had to call Royal Canin and ask them where I could buy it and they told me which Vets sold it in my area, same with all the other K/D) And don't be discouraged if Callie doesn't like one brand...there are others out there to try

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
So sorry it wasn't better news. At least it's something that you can work with to try to help her.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor sweet little Callie! I am so sorry the bloodwork results came in this way. No wonder she was shivering...Tons of get better vibes from us

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to call PetsMart and make sure they have the food. I can walk down there on my lunch to pick it up. We'll only do the sub-qs weekly as she's been eating some and drinking on her own some.

We had NO warning, other than the tremors and we chalked that up to old age, that she was going downhill so quickly. Now we know what to look for and hopefully can avoid it or at least slow things down a bit.

The husband and I have talked about doing sub-qs at home if it came to it. She stresses easily when restrained that I'm not sure I could do it. We had pretty much decided that when it got to this point that we'd have her PTS, but I'm not ready to give up on the old girl just yet.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stephanie, do you have a cat bag? If not, IMHO, time to get one... It is, for some odd reason, very relaxing... (I don't remember the name of the theory, but it has to do with simultaneous pressure over the entire body surface, releasing endorphins, besides full restraining, of course). The one I like the most is called Klaw Kontrol. The Cat Sack is very good as well, but Klaw Kontrol is better as far as relaxation goes. Bugsy gets very relaxed inside of it, and it makes the whole process easier on both of you... I bought on this site Shipping is more expensive than other sites - I think $8 or so, but in the end I believe they charged $5 for shipping, and I was way cheaper than anywhere else. (Even with $8 shipping it would still be way cheaper than anywhere else). The site is legitimate and the delivery is fast... They are good, it worked for me ;-)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

The husband and I have talked about doing sub-qs at home if it came to it. She stresses easily when restrained that I'm not sure I could do it. We had pretty much decided that when it got to this point that we'd have her PTS, but I'm not ready to give up on the old girl just yet.
We also decided "no heroic measures" with Sven, like pilling him, etc. because he fights tooth and nail with pills, plus almost everything makes him sick, but we ARE doing the sub-qs, because we can definitely see a difference in him when we do them, and even though he gives us a hard time when we are doing them (kind of), as soon as we're done, he acts like nothing happened at all
! Maybe I should look into that Klaw Kontrol that Carolina suggested. Giving Sub-qs doesn't seem to hurt the cats at all, and some cats will sit on their parents' lap purring the whole time and don't even seem to realize it's happening! When Sven's had it done at the Vet, he just laid there and didn't seem to notice. At home, he'll never lay down for us to get him started, therein lies the problem, I think
. So we do it with him standing up, and he wants to walk away, which is why I say he gives kind of a problem
. But, he still takes it like a champ.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry ... I am very glad your vet is very good

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you everyone. Mark and I are just really struggling with what to do. If we could figure out what brought on this soooo suddenly that might help, but we can't figure it out. I'm going to call the vet in a little bit and see if she tested her urine for a possible infection. It just seems a bit weird that she could go from feeling fine to an acute problem with such elevated numbers so quickly.

She's not eaten much since coming home, but with just getting fluids, I'm not surprised. She did eat several morsels of TOTW for me, though. She did greet me in the hallway this morning as I was making my mad dash to the bathroom. Her tail was up and everything. I put her on the counter and she drank a bit of water. She's still a bit slow-moving, but she's doing okay.

I'm not doing so okay, though. I've done nothing but cry since waking up and I cried last night before bed when Mark & I were discussing options and what we wanted to do. The problem is I really don't know what I want to do.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are having such tough time. It's heartbreaking when our furry ones are struggling.

Perhaps at this point it would be best for you to simply take your cues from Callie. Observe her, treat what you can and love the dickens out of her. As things progress (or not) she will show you what she needs. And you two, being such a good cat mom and dad, will meet those needs.

I can't help but think that Tumbles came into your life just when you needed a bit of comic relief. I hope he's a comfort to you all right now.

Take care!

C

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that's what we have decided to do. Just love on her for the next few days and see how it goes. I just don't know if I can love her enough to let her go. I know that's what's going to happen, I just haven't accepted it yet.

You're right, Tumbles has been such a little comedian and such a joy during the last several days. His care for Callie has been amazing to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.