Unwell kitten after spaying

Emmaleyland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On of our kittens, Prue, was sprayed on Monday. Procedure went well and she came home on Monday afternoon groggy but OK. She slept Monday night, ate a little bit of fish and drank some water. Gave her painkiller medicine from the vets on Tuesday morning with her breakfast around 8am. Was fine on Tuesday.

Wednesday around 6am she started being sick, this continued until my appointment with the vets at 10:45. She was given an anti sickness injection and she had a higher temp than usual. The vets were unsure why she was feeling this way as she had the painkillers 22 hours prior so it didn’t seem linked. She slept the majority of the day away after, had some food on Wednesday night and seemed a bit more herself. Thursday she was fine and had a post op check, wound was fine and seemed she was over whatever she was feeling on Wednesday.

Today (Friday) she had diarrhoea in the morning and then was sick again around 1pm. She didn’t eat any food this morning just Thursday night. Took her back to the vets who have given her another anti sickness injection and probiotics and said that if she doesn’t improve this time, we will have to consider hospitalising her :(. She has slept the majority of today, won’t eat any food (we made boiled chicken) but is drinking water.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Im at a complete loss and so upset for her.

Thanks in advance,
Emma

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On of our kittens, Prue, was sprayed on Monday. Procedure went well and she came home on Monday afternoon groggy but OK. She slept Monday night, ate a little bit of fish and drank some water. Gave her painkiller medicine from the vets on Tuesday morning with her breakfast around 8am. Was fine on Tuesday.

Wednesday around 6am she started being sick, this continued until my appointment with the vets at 10:45. She was given an anti sickness injection and she had a higher temp than usual. The vets were unsure why she was feeling this way as she had the painkillers 22 hours prior so it didn’t seem linked. She slept the majority of the day away after, had some food on Wednesday night and seemed a bit more herself. Thursday she was fine and had a post op check, wound was fine and seemed she was over whatever she was feeling on Wednesday.

Today (Friday) she had diarrhoea in the morning and then was sick again around 1pm. She didn’t eat any food this morning just Thursday night. Took her back to the vets who have given her another anti sickness injection and probiotics and said that if she doesn’t improve this time, we will have to consider hospitalising her :(. She has slept the majority of today, won’t eat any food (we made boiled chicken) but is drinking water.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Im at a complete loss and so upset for her.

Thanks in advance,
Emma
I don't have any experience as a new Kitten Owner but sending Prue some good vibes. Wish her a speedy recovery

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is not normal, but I have no answers as to what it could be. ONE possibility is that she was incubating an infection when you took her in, and it has now become symptomatic...and there are a LOT of those it could be. Take her back in sooner, rather than later, and PLEASE let us know how the precious baby is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emmaleyland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks both. Name of the painkiller is Loxicom, it does say side effects can be vomiting and diarrhoea however because she had so long before she was sick the vet isn’t sure this is the cause.

Shes had some biscuits through the night, and some wet food this morning (tried boiled fish and chicken - with and without chicken stock and she won’t eat that). Kept it down so far and seems more her playful self however, she was like this on Thursday the day after her first injection so I don’t think she’s completely out of the woods but praying she really has turned a corner.

Any advice still appreciated

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What beautiful sisters! I wouldn't give her any more painkillers and see how she acts, sometimes they have more of a reaction to that than to the actual spaying procedure. Most of my cats come through the spaying fine, and then some, like the mama I just had done, take a while. They are feral so no pain medicine is given, except at the vets. She took three to four days to act normally. she just took bites of food at first, yesterday, the fifth day, she has started eating normally again. you might try some lickable treats to see if you can tempt her. If your little one isn't improved by Monday, I would take her in. As long as she is eating a little, drinking, and not hiding, that is a good sign.

Emmaleyland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! She’s eating (and keeping it down), drinking, and acting quite normal so I really hope this is it. She hasn’t had any pain medication since Tuesday morning. She’s been to the vets 4/6 days this week so far (they’ve been so good and saw her whenever I’ve been concerned) but will see how she goes and today and tomorrow. Thanks everyone hopefully she’s turned a corner!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, the pain killer, is Metacam just a different name. It is hard on cat kidneys. I don’t know if that is what caused her to feel bad, but I’m glad she is doing better.

Emmaleyland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s really helpful thank you. I’ve just been looking more into the side effects and saw kidney failure is one, vomiting and diarrhoea being signs of that, but also side effects of metacam generally. Trying not to panic because she does seem much better but she also seemed much better on Thursday before she was ill again yesterday. If it is the side effects of Metacam, do you have any idea how long this might last? The last time she has it was Tuesday, and I know it’s meant to last for 24 hours but it’s Saturday now :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In a young, healthy animal, the time frame given for clearance from the system should be correct. If there were to be kidney or liver issues, it may take longer for a drug to clear the system, but that does not seem to fit your description of her. She takes no other meds, as Meloxicam does react with many others? If the cycle continues, I would go back to the vet. You are moving into one week with a cat who has only been spayed and who should be feeling better. Hopefully she is by now.

Emmaleyland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the information. No she’s never had any other medication. I know her sister seems completely fine now so praying Prue is on the mend too. See how tomorrow goes 🥺

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is allot to factor in with her not feeling well after the spay. Questions you will never get the answers to and can drive you crazy if you let it. If she continues to get ill off and on, I would have them do some blood work. A CBC and CHEM.

There are always risks with anesthesia. It is important to know how the patients are monitored and how anesthesia is induced. Also good to know what pain medication they use.

inhaled anesthesia is the most hypotensive anesthesia. Therefore when a patient is under anesthesia you always want your isoflurane gas to be as low as you are able. They should have iv fluids before anesthesia is induced. They must be kept warm during the entire procedure and afterwards in recovery. The blood pressure is extremely important to monitor constantly. Low blood pressure decreases the blood flow to the kidneys. So, if anesthesia has is used as the sole means of anesthesia, it can be damaging to the kidneys. Because it causes hypotension, therefore restricting blood flow to the kidneys.

To me, it makes no sense to put a drug known to cause kidney failure in some cats, on top of a potentially kidney compromised cat. But I seem to be the only one who feels this way.

The other thing to remember is that the majority of anesthesia related deaths occurs in recovery. So always ask what a hospitals protocol is.

Not trying to freak you out. Just information. I think you are probably out of the woods now since she is feeling better and eating.

Emmaleyland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info. That seems completely strange to me too.

She has just had a normal poo 🎉 (too much information maybe) 😂 so the probiotics seem to be working, hopefully they settle her sickness too!!

Emmaleyland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I nearly started crying 😂😂😂. No more sick so far 🤞🏼 she has been licking her lips which is read yesterday is a sign of nausea, and doesn’t seem completely herself but does seem a bit better. Fingers crossed this is it 👏🏻

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, by all means stick around and enjoy the site! There are informative articles, a HOST of game threads, social threads, even threads for foodies! We'd love to have you stay!