Unusual littertray problem- not answered in new thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcottonl02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank for ur replies.
Hmm....the litter thing sounds odd. They do go in the litter tray- a lot. And the wood pellets turns to sandy stuff when weed on.
I'm not sure......I think it's both of them......I think.......
But I sgguested the attract litter to my mum, and she thought it was a good idea, but then they weed all over the floor by the litter tray. We've got a little dip in the wall, where the litter tray is, and there's about another litter-tray sized gap between the tray and the wall. That is where they wee. My mum got totally fed up, and, that evening in desperation, she put the whole bag of litter in the space they wee in. They haven't not used their litter tray since. Also I have made sure to fully clean it out and change it completely once a day, rather than once every two days, scooping out solids twice a day. That seems to have worked.....for now....but its not exactly an ideal long term solution lol.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think part of the issue is that the area surrounding the litter box is attractive to them for whatever reason. I think it will help if you make that area unattractive to them. You want to make sure that you don't make getting to the litter box unattractive.

It does sound like they particularly like a clean box, and there are some additives and hopefully someone will know what it is, or what to ask a local vet for, that changes the color of their pee so you can track which one it might be. It's a pill form, if I remember correctly, that you'd want to give to one cat at a time to see if that pee outside the box shows up in the color (I think it's blue). You'd only give it to one of them at a time, so that way you'd see if potty spots were both clear and blue, or just blue, or just clear, and you'll be able to determine if it's one cat or both.

If you had clumping litter, you'd only have to scoop like you scoop normally, instead of the entire affair of having to dump, clean, and then replace the pellets, and it would probably be cheaper as well, ultimately. The clumping litter is only nominally more expensive than the wood pellets, I think, and I think you'd use a lot less. Dr. Esleys ( I get it at Petsmart here), regular cat litter, is low dust, and 40 lbs is about $13 here, but it probably isn't that expensive anywhere else.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just seen this thread.

Some cats perfer to use different trays for wee and poo, so I think your theory could be right. Try cleaning out the 'wee' one daily, and see how that goes, you could also try buying a really large litter tray for the wee one.