Unusual behavior (with video) what might be the problem?

Chewwy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I joined because in the past couple days my 12 y/o female cat has started doing this odd behavior as seen in the video. Sometimes there’s a little gag/cough not seen in the video that is almost like a hairball coming up but is dry. I did find a couple spots of saliva on my carpet, one with a small amount of blood. I do have an appointment with a vet but I was hoping someone could tell me what the problem might be here. She is eating and otherwise behaving normally. Vid hopefully works...

thank you!!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think her teeth could be in pain or she could be nauseous. Have you looked inside her mouth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chewwy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think her teeth could be in pain or she could be nauseous. Have you looked inside her mouth?
Hah not with this cat. No way. Way too squirmy to look in her mouth!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
At first I would have said she looks nauseous, but the pawing at the mouth makes me think she’s in pain.

Chewwy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to go with something to do with her teeth. When is the vet visit?
Tuesday. They said they could do sooner if it’s an emergency but given how she’s eating and behaving normally I do not think it is. But that’s kind of what I’m trying to figure out, if it could be something that needs urgent care. This cat has never had any issues and she’s my first cat so I’m no expert. but based on what I’m seeing I also wasn’t sure if a vet visit is needed or if it’s one of those things that two days from now is gone and the cat’s happy again. I have a feeling it isn’t since she’s been doing that a couple days already

Chewwy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone seen this same behavior before? I tried to google and find info first or find a video of another cat doing the same thing but it’s hard to put it into words and I couldn’t find anything that seemed to describe this. She probably does it every hour or two. When I saw her start, that’s when I took the video

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are notorious for hiding pain. If she’s pawing her mouth I think she’s in a lot of pain. I would take her sooner just because I wouldn’t be able to let her be in pain for that long.

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd gander something could be in her throat, like something from a toy. My dads cat used to eat plastic and had to go to the vet 3 times over it and exhibited this exact behavior, but more severely.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
to me, it looks like she is trying to get something out of her teeth, or roof of the mouth, the way she is pawing her mouth and moving her tongue like she is trying to push something out. Looks like its something on the right side of her mouth the way she is leaning her head to the right and trying to push with her left paw. Could be a bad tooth, or something stuck in the tooth or roof of the mouth. Poor thing :( I am sure the vet visit will help a lot as he will see more better

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That definitely looks like it's about mouth. Tooth or gum problem, oral ulcers, maybe a wound... Good that you are taking her to the vet, good luck!

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
to me, it looks like she is trying to get something out of her teeth, or roof of the mouth, the way she is pawing her mouth and moving her tongue like she is trying to push something out. Looks like its something on the right side of her mouth the way she is leaning her head to the right and trying to push with her left paw. Could be a bad tooth, or something stuck in the tooth or roof of the mouth. Poor thing :( I am sure the vet visit will help a lot as he will see more better
That's exactly what I thought as well, looks like she feels something funny in her mouth/throat and is trying to get it out.