Unsure Why My Cats Are Doing This

Cat345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've posted before recently about my cats. They're littermates, 2 and both unmetered males. They just came to live with my in my new house so I haven't really seen their normal behaviour and I'm not sure if this is a new thing or not. I've noticed both body walking around and meowing, I didn't think too much of it, bit they will also stretch up walls with their paws even when I'm high surfaces and meow, I'm not sure the reasoning behind it and wondering if there's a reason behind it?

Than kyo

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is just how cats stretch, do you have vertical scratch posts/cat trees for them? Also how old are they? If they haven't become sexually mature yet, they soon will be and may likely start spraying and trying to escape your home to find a mate. Do you have plans to neuter them?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. As it's a new house, they may be just leaving their scent, or mark, on it. Or they could be just stretching, as others have suggested.

Since they are both male, you don't have to worry about one getting pregnant, however, as jen jen already mentioned, once they get older they may start spraying around the house, trying to escape to look for "girlfriends" and possibly even start fighting each other over territory. So I would suggest checking with your vet about getting them neutered. Here's some TCS articles with more info:

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats | TheCatSite
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery | TheCatSite
How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed | TheCatSite

Also, in case they start trying to get out the door:
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS!! Depending on their age, I would say that most likely the meowing is from not being neutered. You definitely want to get them fixed before they begin urine marking or get to rambunctious in their play. Please keep us updated! :cheerleader:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for suggestions. The plan is to neuter them, I just wasn't sure how long to give them to settle in before making the trip to the vets .They also do this behaviour at windows too and walk around the house meowing. They play all night. It's currently 5am and I can't sleep because of their meowing and playing. I'm definitely hoping they will call down once neutered. Buddy also used to spray when they loved with my family member. Mostly on people's jackets and bags. He hasn't done it here yet but I'm expecting he will at see point. There's no guarantee that he will stop spraying once he's neutered but Its worth a shot.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A rousing dose of intense play right before bedtime, followed by a snack, might help them calm down. I use a wand toy attached to the end of a retired fishing pole - that allows for mad dashes across the room and spectacular aerial leaps. (it is great for kids to use, to keep them away from claws, and for anyone with neck/shoulder issues). I am wondering if there are too many other night creatures visiting your yard - either other cats or foxes or skunks, etc. Hopefully, it is just the mating urge that is pestering them and all will mellow out when they are fixed.

Cat345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping so. I know there's lots of birds outside, I can hear their singing, I'm not sure about other animals. I live on a very busy road so I thought that might deter most animals bit maybe not. They have a few toys but I don't see them using them much. They did love the wand toy they had previously so I'll have to get another one.

Cat345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also they are two so definitely reached sexual maturation. I've not seen any aggression at all, they're both quite loving and cuddly cats. They also groom each other often, but I don't want any aggression to appear given they're both unneutered males so I think the sooner I can neuter them, the better for them all around.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's no guarantee that he will stop spraying once he's neutered but Its worth a shot.
Neutering doesn't guarantee a cat who has started to spray will stop, but the urine smell for sure won't be that stinky tom cat scent.

They also groom each other often, but I don't want any aggression to appear given they're both unneutered males so I think the sooner I can neuter them, the better for them all around.
Do you plan to take them both in at the same time? If not, there's a chance of non-recognition aggression when one come home smelling like the vet office.
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

About their night time play sessions, here's another article that might be helpful:
Cats And Night Crazies! | TheCatSite

Cat345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I'll be able to manage taking them both in myself but if I can get somebody to help me then definitely. Thank you all for the tips and information. I really appreciate it.