Unsure about the breed of my new kitten

pheorin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site and very happy to be here. I recently adopted a kitten and I was curious to see if perhaps he was a mix breed or just a regular long haired kitten. If anyone had any thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate it. His name is Perseus and he is wonderful!

I also adopted an 18 year old awhile back by the name of Tipper, I didn't realise she was a big as she is as she was hiding in her litter box at the time. I was thinking that perhaps she was a Maine Coon mix as her tail is the entire length of her body and her coat is a shaggy medium hair, however she doesn't have the ear tufts. Not sure if anyone had any thoughts on her also!

Last edited by a moderator:

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Cat is supposed to be a black and white
Siamese at least that's what the Vet wrote
On the papers when we Adopted her I never
Heard of a black & white Siamese till now
Well you see her pic does she look like she
Could have Siamese to anyone out there

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To fhicat my cat will be six that Pic I posted of her was taken last December she was under weight from being tossed from shelter to shelter and when we adopted her in October she was in a KILL SHELTER she had fattened up since that pic I'll send another if I can figure out how as I said I am new t o this and wish all my FREINDSout there I the cat site a purrfectj day. =^w^= she is no kitten !

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To fhicat my cat will be six that Pic I posted of her was taken last December she was under weight from being tossed from shelter to shelter and when we adopted her in October she was in a KILL SHELTER she had fattened up since that pic I'll send another if I can figure out how as I said I am new t o this and wish all my FREINDSout there I the cat site a purrfectj day. =^w^= she is no kitten !
I think she is a domestic  shorthair, black and white in the tuxedo pattern.   I dont know why the vet wrote siamese.   He perhaps though on an Orientale, which is a sibling breed to siameses, and may have any color.  But she doenst look much Orientale either.

Or he perhaps knew her parentage, and knew she had a siamese Ancestor?

I see she DID fattened up.   Perhaps even a trifle or two too much.  Sorry for saying it. I have own sad experience of  cat whom gets too fat.  Its more dangerous for cats than us humans...   Canned wet food is the easiest way to let them slowly get a healthy posture.

Do not go in for any hasty cures by cutting off her food - "starvation" goes hard on their liver.

If you use dry food (if she for example hates wet food as this cat in my example did) -  be careful with what dry you choose.  Many brands lower down the containment of fat, but instead on correspondingly increase the animal protein, they increase with more carbo...  Fattening them up even more.    cats dont manage too much carbohydrates.
My Cat is supposed to be a black and white
Siamese at least that's what the Vet wrote
On the papers when we Adopted her I never
Heard of a black & white Siamese till now
Well you see her pic does she look like she
Could have Siamese to anyone out there

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also adopted an 18 year old awhile back by the name of Tipper, I didn't realise she was a big as she is as she was hiding in her litter box at the time. I was thinking that perhaps she was a Maine Coon mix as her tail is the entire length of her body and her coat is a shaggy medium hair, however she doesn't have the ear tufts. Not sure if anyone had any thoughts on her also!
Both can probably be called for Maine Coon look alikes, although by different reasons. Perseus has the looks, with time perhaps the size.  If he gets the size, you will know.  The grand old lady, Dame Tipper, hasnt really the looks, but has the grandezza AND the size.

As none of them is purebred, they may of course differ from the breed standard, who cares?    :)

Dame Tipper color is fascinating.  She could have the burmanese type of point, blackish masque and brownish body,  but that is rare and double rare with her apparation.  So I presume this is some quirk of nature.

I have read some forumists mentioned black cats could get brown in color with a lack of some nutrients.. I dont remember which nutrient it was..  May have possibly something to do with her age.

Also, cats whom are much in the sun, gets sometimes somewhat different color, so black cats may get brownish...

Please, cuddle both your cats from me.  Both are splendid, although in different ways.

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank You Stephanz I think you are right about my cats breed as for her weight she loves wet food as a matter of fact we are Italian and Love our spaghetti & meatballs the whole family is overweight but we are very happy right down to our cat so " La Dolce a Vita"

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ I Googled Black and White Siamese kittens and cats and came up with about 10 similar to my BOOTSE