Unsure about Euthanizing yet

samnkc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all.

This is not an emergency or do I see it as urgent but my cat is around 16-17 years old and in the last 6 months she will meow all night long even though we leave 2-3 lights on downstairs for her which we figure this is dementia but she also doesn't seem to want to walk up and down stairs anymore because she is going to the bathroom on the main level of the house and her litter box is in the basement (no we cannot move it because both my dogs will either eat her litter or pee all around if they can smell the cat pee) and her pee is very potent and it seems almost like she is spraying. She is also sleeping all the time now. Whether it be on the couch in the living room or on a patio chair outside. She does appear to have some hearing loss and is losing her coordination a bit because we keep her food up on a pedestal due to the dogs. And instead of jumping up she will just grab onto the top and pull her back end up behind her now. My brother keeps telling me that she needs to be put down and that I'm being cruel but to me she doesn't have enough bad days for me to justify doing this. I've had her since I was 9 years old and she has been with me through a lot and even though cats aren't my favourite pet and i will never own another one I don't want to just put her down.... I also am currently unemployed so I cannot afford a bunch of testing for my cat so please no vet suggestions I'm just looking for some answers about when I should think it's time for her. Thank you.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello all.

This is not an emergency or do I see it as urgent but my cat is around 16-17 years old and in the last 6 months she will meow all night long even though we leave 2-3 lights on downstairs for her which we figure this is dementia but she also doesn't seem to want to walk up and down stairs anymore because she is going to the bathroom on the main level of the house and her litter box is in the basement (no we cannot move it because both my dogs will either eat her litter or pee all around if they can smell the cat pee) and her pee is very potent and it seems almost like she is spraying. She is also sleeping all the time now. Whether it be on the couch in the living room or on a patio chair outside. She does appear to have some hearing loss and is losing her coordination a bit because we keep her food up on a pedestal due to the dogs. And instead of jumping up she will just grab onto the top and pull her back end up behind her now. My brother keeps telling me that she needs to be put down and that I'm being cruel but to me she doesn't have enough bad days for me to justify doing this. I've had her since I was 9 years old and she has been with me through a lot and even though cats aren't my favourite pet and i will never own another one I don't want to just put her down.... I also am currently unemployed so I cannot afford a bunch of testing for my cat so please no vet suggestions I'm just looking for some answers about when I should think it's time for her. Thank you.
Is she eating, and eating well?  Seems to enjoy the environment around her?  Is able to get around ok and uses the litterbox?

Also i would make it easier for her to eat, it isn't fair at this point to make her climb to eat.  You could give her her own room for eating, or her own room just for living, or find a way to keep the dogs out of her food.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think you need to put her down at this point, but it would be kindest to her if you could find a way to make it easier to reach her food and litterbox. Maybe a separate room where the dogs aren't allowed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samnkc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately due to the fact that our house has an open floor plan and we already have to feed the dogs separately in our bedrooms the only place we have for her litter box is the basement because they fight around their food and the dogs also like to come into the bathroom with us and sit while we shower so that wouldn't be an option..... I have tried moving her food closer to her litter box and we have a small room for her in the basement because it is finished but she doesn't like to be down there very often. Even if I am down there doing my work she won't come down. It is hard with the dogs and I do feel bad but she is eating. She'll only eat kitten food now but she doesn't eat as much as she used to. I usually would fill her bowl 3 maybe 4 times a week and now I'm lucky if she'll eat enough for me to fill it twice a week. I honestly thought she was doing it because of my younger dog who is about a year old but I house-sat for a month at my in-laws and left my cat and older dog at home with my mom and she was still spraying and pooping upstairs every so often so I'm sure it's not the dog anymore but I am at a loss because the dogs already have to have their own spaces and now I may have to find somewhere for my cat too. And I have a tiny house lol. I'll see what I can do to make her more comfortable.

samnkc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am unemployed so I cannot afford to pay for her to go to the vet. She is so old and my vet would charge me $300 just to bring her in and then $500 for tests..... I really don't have that type of money and she is approximately 16/17 years old so I can't really justify spending $800

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to check out this article for help with vet costs.  Sometimes vets will work with you on a payment plan.  Call around and ask about prices and costs for procedures.  Also, check with Banfield Charitable Trust.  They also have some aid available, but I don't know what the qualifications are.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/when-you-cant-afford-a-veterinarian

samnkc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet will not give payment plans. Believe me...... I tried when my in-laws fed my dog shrimp fried rice but my fiancé ended up having to pay with his cc over the phone. I don't think I would qualify for funding because in my past experiences with this I had to submit my tax return for them to evaluate and since I was employed last year they will not give me any funding because they think I can afford it and don't really need the money. And if she has dementia I don't really think they can do anything for her anyways it's like Alzheimer's and once it occurs it brings them down.....