Unspayed kitty got outside

olivekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I have a 5 month old kitten who I took in from outside about a month ago. She has not been spayed yet (she does have an appointment scheduled, though). I haven't noticed any signs that she has experienced her first heat yet. She does meow a lot but it doesn't sound like the normal mating call that sounds somewhat painful. She also tries to get outside and likes going into the basement to get under our house because she can sit next to the grates on the side of the house and almost be outside. But she has been dying to go outside ever since we took her in.

Anyway, I have been out of town and was informed this morning that she somehow got outside last night and was out for about 5 or 6 hours before coming home. There are a LOT of stray cats running our neighborhood, most of whom I'm going to assume are not fixed. Now I am worried sick!! Is it very likely that she has gotten pregnant? I know that females usually reach sexual maturity around 5 months of age, so is it even possible that she could get pregnant without experiencing her first heat cycle yet?

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you haven't noticed signs of heat, she may not have started yet, in which case she would not accept a mate.  However. better to be safe than sorry--when is the appointment for her spay?  If it's within a few weeks, no worries.  Anything further out than that and I would call to see if she can get in sooner.  The spay will be easier on her the less pregnant she is, if she is pregnant.

I know some people have reservations about spay-aborts but if she is pregnant this is like an 11 or 12 year old girl getting pregnant just as she begins menstruating.  Your kitty is still a baby and shouldn't have to deal with having babies of her own.  There is anecdotal evidence that it can stunt her growth and that she may not care for the kittens as well.

To answer your main question, though, cats go into heat when it is time for them to mate.  So if she has not had her first heat cycle, she is not fertile and moreover, if not in heat, will not put up with a boy cat trying to "get with her" as the kids say. 

Unlike in dogs, there are no studies that indicate any problems with fixing a cat before her first heat.  So I say, go for it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, thank you. Her spay appointment is in 4 weeks on September 1st. I don't think they have anything available before then. Is 4 weeks too long?