Unscented And Gentle Shampoo For Elderly Cat

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HK has never had a bath except at the vet and not for years, but there are reasons why he should be bathed now - itchy skin, lying on the cat litter (lol). he's got a variety of conditions (thyroid, kidneys, IBD), and i'd like to use a cat shampoo with few ingredients so as to lessen the possibility of reactions or allergies and no scent to avoid it being one he doesn't like.

i'd ask our vet's office, but honestly their advice has been very poor. they recently suggested a flea drop that says right on it that it's not for elderly or weak cats. the only reason we take him there is that a) we can't afford to do all his tests again right now and b) they're a cats only practice, and he is fearful of dogs.

i sure hope if we're gradual and gentle and use the right temperature of water that HK will be okay with baths. he's especially soothed by my husband's presence, so we'll both be there, talking to him gently. we'll let him check out the water first, too.

so, any shampoo recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The safest soap I know of is the original blue Dawn dish soap. It's the same thing they use to clean all age animals after oil spills. It will dry out his skin though if you bathe too frequently or use too much soap.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The safest soap I know of is the original blue Dawn dish soap. It's the same thing they use to clean all age animals after oil spills. It will dry out his skin though if you bathe too frequently or use too much soap.
probably too drying for HK's sensitive skin, but something to consider.

i only use this one, if i need to bathe my cats. I have never had a problem with it, you would not need to leave it on the 10 minutes that it recommends for some skin conditions. this brand has some other formulas like the hypoallergenic as well.

Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo

Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hypoallergenic Shampoo
that sounds good - i think we'll give it a try. thank you :)

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For kittens, I have used Johnson & Johnson untscented baby shampoo. The kittens had no problem. With any shampoo, make sure to rinse the cat well to clear all the soap. I made sure to rinse the kittens until the water coming off them was clear.

Good luck!

Last edited:

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try Espree! It’s just the best company out there (IMO), organic, natural and so many great things that really do clean while being gentle! I insisted on the ShihTzu’s now one dog) being bathed weekly, and their tangly hair, needs silk to keep it soft, yet deep clean too- and not too much for weekly use. I’ve never liked another brand!
The kitten shampoo uses mainly coconut based products to clean and moisturize, so it probably smells a little coconutty- but naturally. Also, they have an aloe and oatmeal shampoo that worked wonders on our senior dog with skin issues- made for cats too! I also love the shine spray for older coats- they tend to lose their sparkle, also Unscented.
They have several new options, but the senior shampoo has menthol etc to work as a muscle rub and cool joints and inflammation, so I don’t think that one’s for you.
Check them out and see if you like any! You can probably buy on Amazon if that’s easier, good luck! :)

Kitten Shampoo

Allergy Relief Avocado & Aloe Shampoo

Oatmeal Baking Soda Shampoo