Unrelated To Cats, But Looking For Specific Litter....

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
IMG_0181.JPG
I am helping my dad.. he bought clay cat litter once long ago for his toy train layout (he uses it in between tracks to make it look like rock and rubble).

He's having trouble finding the litter again, so here I ask for your help!

He's looking for light grey, big chunks (not fine/sandy). If you guys use clay litter, please post the brand and a photo of a handful next to a coin (dime or quarter) so we can find the right one for him?

Please and thank you!

Last edited:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Litter has changed a lot, so he may not be able to find what he wants. I do hope he does. If not, have him check his local Lowe's, Home Depot, or nursery for white pea gravel. He may find small quantities at a hobby shop where they have flower arrangement accessories, or in the model department. Terrariums are coming back, so places that sell those supplies might be able to help.

I also found some white bean pebbles at an aquarium supply site.

Here's one, with the small gravel at the bottom of the page. I'm sure there are others. You might try one of the larger pet supply places like Petsmart or Petco.

Aquarium Glass - Fish Tank Rocks, Pebbles, & Vase Gems

Petsmart had several kinds, including this:

Top Fin® Premium Quality Aquarium Gravel | fish Gravel, Sand & Stones | PetSmart

It looks like a great setup. We'd love some photos.

Good luck to both of you.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Try Johnny Cat litter. That's what we usually end up getting for cat shows since it's really cheap. I don't know if the pieces are as big as the ones in your picture, but it's definitely not sand texture.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did find some white non-clumping clay litter once. It was a super cheap store brand. Dollar General? The generic blue bag from Hy-Vee? Maybe it was Jonny Cat. I'd recommend trying Jonny Cat first. There are some websites I found that said it's white but their own website doesn't say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I will look into Jonny Cat and the aquarium gravel for him. I know he wants to try to find the same ones to keep his layout consistent. I'll see where I can find Jonny Cat first :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like a great setup. We'd love some photos.

Good luck to both of you.
thanks for your suggestion!

he has his own website (That I created for him).
www.warrenvillerailroad.com

thanks again everyone. keep the suggestions and possible photos coming. it's getting pricey and a waste to buy litter to find it's not one he wants.. I don't use clay and shelters won't accept opened bags of litter. Shame the bags/boxes does not show what the litter looks like inside and website/googling doesn't help

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where I live some pet shops put out samples of litter in containers so you can look at them properly before buying.

I happened to be in one today and was thinking of this post. From memory I was trying to find something similar but actually now looking at the photos mine seems to be a darker grey. Do you have this brand in the States?

If I'm in again I'll see if there are lighter ones and see if there are brands that also can be got across the pond. :fish:

IMG_20170703_170618.jpg