Unpleasant cat hygiene issue

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clumsy kitty

Well I took Oscar to the vet. She said there's nothing wrong with him.
At least you know about Oscars heart as well though, so some good did come out of the visit

Mine have had Hills, but it was the one for their teeth.

My three have the odd bit stuck to their bottoms, and really it's nothing. I have cream bedding and they've never marked it once and they sleep on the bed with me every night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I could apply that logic to my own house! I'm badly obsessive compulsive so if Oscar's mucky, even if he's not leaving marks, I convince myself that there are still 'particles'. I've grown up with cats my whole life so why it would harm me now, I've no clue. Rationality has no voice in my head!
Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'm delighted he's OK. I must admit I find him that little bit cuter since finding out he's like the 'reject' of the cat world. Maybe these things were why his 'owners' chucked him out in the first place. BBless.

mercury_quirks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by clumsy kitty

I wish I could apply that logic to my own house! I'm badly obsessive compulsive so if Oscar's mucky, even if he's not leaving marks, I convince myself that there are still 'particles'. I've grown up with cats my whole life so why it would harm me now, I've no clue. Rationality has no voice in my head!
I'm a bit obsessive compulsive too. Thankfully, while my cat does not enjoy the cat wipes I got him, or being wiped with a tissue, he forgives me immediately after and starts purring once the cleaning turns into petting. He lives in my bedroom, as I'm a college student (moving into an apartment in a month and a half) so for as long as we're sharing space so closely, he's going to have to tolerate me. He had diarrhea for a bit, which lead to several impromptu behind furcuts (best done while he's eating his wet food). He's also good about baths, for which I'm grateful (he had a few accidents with the loose stools that required bathing...).

whispern'cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

What your using (the drops on the back of the neck) sound more like flee/tick treatment like frontline or advantage and NOT de-wormer. As for the stuff on his back side... sound like Frankie... she hasn't had a perfectly clean rump in years but I never bothered with it. She's not allowed on the counters or tables and she's a pretty stressed out cat as it is that I don't want to chase her around to clean for her.
Someone removed my previous post and link!? Just wanted you to know that there is a new in the USA wormer called Profender, it is manufactured by Bayer and available through one's Vet, that is a spot on. It is applied once every 3 months. It was available in the UK first if memory serves me right. At my vet it sells for $25.
Here is the link again: http://www.profender.com

I only originaly posted this info so you would know that there is a spot on from the vet for worms. Sorry if this is not ok, just trying to help.

Lisa

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link

I'm delighted - the hills food I've been giving Oscar seems to have worked an absolute treat. His fur is beautiful - I've never known it to be so soft! He's often suffered with cat breath, so I've always turned my head when he yawns (I've got a very sensitive sniffer
). But since this new food has kicked in, his mouth is as fresh as a daisy! AND, his bum - clean as a whistle!!!
I just can't believe the turn around. I'm so made up I spent that money on his food - normally I wouldn't have bothered because it was SO pricey, but wow - soooo worth it!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whispern'Cats

Someone removed my previous post and link!? Just wanted you to know that there is a new in the USA wormer called Profender, it is manufactured by Bayer and available through one's Vet, that is a spot on. It is applied once every 3 months. It was available in the UK first if memory serves me right. At my vet it sells for $25.
Here is the link again: http://www.profender.com

I only originaly posted this info so you would know that there is a spot on from the vet for worms. Sorry if this is not ok, just trying to help.

Lisa
Thanks. I did see your first post with the link and was intrigued by it. I'd never heard of a spot on wormer before now.

kittykittysick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat always gets poo on his bum. just use a wet cloth. is he neutered, because my cats male parts act as poop shelves.

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is neutered yes. Unfortunately this problem seems to have recurred, and it's making me miserable. It's not that he has cling ons, it's that his bum hole (TMI
) has bits of black poo on it. I've taken to wiping but he gets very upset and I have to be very firm to get it all off. Plus, it means he's better off outside at night (enclosed fence), because if he uses his box in the night and then sits on the couch...well, I'll just leave that to your imagination.
I'm desperate for a solution, my little boy is relegated to being outside most of the time because of this problem and it's making me want to cry

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought - after you've wiped him, does his 'starfish' look a little darker pink or red in patches? If so, the skin there might be a bit raw and irritated, and the black spots could be scabbing over of tender spots, rather than feces. It may help just to let him be for several days to see if they go away on their own.

Is his poop normal in consistency, or is it excessively soft and runny? If it is runny, you may want to do a bit of searching on these forums for information on IBD (irritable bowel) and food sensitivities, and perhaps consider trying a grain-free diet or one designed for sensitive stomachs. If you decide to switch his food, do it gradually to avoid additional stomach upset. Check the 'health and nutrition' category of the forums for more information.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I haven't read through this thread, so forgive me if my comments have already been addressed.

But is your kitty over weight? If he's got a belly on him, he might not be able to reach his bum area to clean. In which case you need to do it using a warm soapy cloth once or twice a day.

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Natalie. No, he's not overweight at all. Vet said he was lazy

Tuxedokities, it has occurred to me he may have a sensitive stomach. His motions have never been solid, even when he arrived with us, it was always a little sloppy. Hes been wormed so that's not the problem. Although, interestingly, I've never once seen him throw up or had to clean any. Not even that grass liquid stuff