Uninterested Mama

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dif4us

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so Mama is doing alright! No mastitis[emoji]128516[/emoji] Our vet did I stool sample and tested for various parasites and protozoa, etc. and while she does not have any giardia or coccidia, etc (including cysts) she was still positive for hookworms. To be on the safe side, he gave her a dewormer, an injection, and oral Imodium A.D. which he would like me to continue. He asked for me to phone the office Thursday morning to give them an update on her progress and not feed her anything until tomorrow afternoon to give her intestines a chance to rest, as well as only giving her dry food for the rest of the week when she's allowed to eat again . He cautioned that I might need to supplement more than usual in this 24 hour period, but assured me that she'd be fine and not feeding will speed her healing as hard as it will be for both of us. He was very pleased with the progress we've made thus far and that she wasn't dehydrated after so many days of diahrrea. He thought the babies looked great and encouraged me to keep supplementing esp the smaller ones. All in all a great visit until the bill-Ouch! LOL I was also cautioned that she needs to be spayed as soon as they are weaned as she will go directly back into heat.

Offered the KMR on a plate this morning and a few seemed to catch on which I'm thrilled about! Of course now they all need a bath again LOL it's never ending rofl the sweeties[emoji]128536[/emoji] Another kitten had a bm this morning and a couple are using their mini litter box[emoji]9786[/emoji]️ So proud of them! They are beginning to become less clumsy and more sure on their feet - with the occasional bound across the play area, constant roughhousing, and now the newest trick - climbing! Perhaps scaling would be a better term as they are climbing directly up my daughters pant leg and the side of the bed on the comforter.

So now my biggest hurdle will be to find a way to get them economically vaccinated and spayed or neutered. At our vet a spay including anesthesia and antibiotics, etc is $167 which really isn't bad, but I've got seven to do! So lots of phone calls in my immediate future! Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and wisdom and for all the encouragement, y'all are wonderful!![emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128049[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom can have water though, right? Are you supplementing the babies by hand, or just offering KMR in the bowl for now?

Yep, the vet is pricey. Hopefully, your calls will result in you finding a low-cost clinic for the kittens.

I had my mama cat done at my private vet, but I took my kittens in by 2's, on successive Saturdays, to our local Humane Society to use their low-cost spay/neuter clinic.

I'm sure it will all work out, and I hope mom feels better by tomorrow. Keep us posted! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dif4us

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she can water as long as she isn't vomitting which she hasn't. I'm keeping a closer eye on it though to make sure she has everything she needs.

We are offering the KMR in a shallow dish before we hand feed them. A couple seem to get the idea but don't have much patience for it yet, the rest stick their feet in and then lick it off their feet. But they're all consuming at least 15 mls a feeding and since they usually eats in conjunction with mama they're likely getting closer to 20 overall. She still won't feed for very long but she is initiating feedings now so she's nursing about every 90 minutes for 1-4 mins at a time typically. A lil longer and further apart in the middle of the night.

I really hope I can find a clinic like that that will take us! The ones I know of here in town all go by ZIP Code and so we don't qualify [emoji]128533[/emoji] But I'm sure there are resources I haven't found yet, or that the free/low-cost clinics that won't accept us can give me a referral. [emoji]128521[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'll be rooting for you! Do you have a nearby Humane Society clinic?

I'm glad to hear the kittens are eating so well during supplementing! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Let me know how mama is later today!

Last edited: