Unintentional Set Up Of Stray/feral Colony

Chris_Takas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey hey all, hope you are all doing well.

as some of you might know, a stray recently adopted me and we are having a great time. :))
around the block i discovered recently a young mom with 2 tiny kittens. they seemed very shy so i just saw them from afar. they seemed healthy enough.

2 days ago, i found this tiny kitten crying in front of my door. it seemed hungry but not injured. i realized that it could be one of the tiny kittens from around the block. it must have gotten lost or something scared it away from mom and sibling.

i immediately prepared a plate of wet food and a bowl of water. i lured this tiny ball of fur all the way back to mom with said food.

on arrival, the mom must have heard it crying and came shooting out. starred at me and the little one. i put the food down and everybody ate.

the next day, i got sufficient food for all of them and to my surprise they were super friendly and i could pet the little ones, not the mom.
just now i came back from feeding them and 2 more cats have joint the group. i am wondering now that i unintentionally set up a colony. cos i dont think i have enough money to feed all of them. :(

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is nice of you to feed them, but with feeding these cats comes the responsibility of caring for them. This means a definite spay/neuter for all. If that does not happen soon, you will have more cats than you know what to do. Get some traps and start TNR. You might be able to get help from a rescue group in your area, but most are so very busy this time of year. Find a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area. You also might be able to take them all to a no kill Humane Society or ASPCA. Call around and find a place. If the cats are friendly they can be adopted.

Spay/neuter is the most important thing you can do for these cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chris_Takas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the reply, sadly i live in a country right now that has no such thing then aspca or no kill humane society, heck, they dont even have shelters for cats in a city with a population of 1.2 million. they do some work with keeping stray/feral dogs in check but thats about it. its crazy here. i see some people feeding cats in my neighborhood. spay/neutering is extremely expensive compared to wages.
i am not 100% sure but it seems like the mom is the only female so far. would it make a difference to spay the only female cat around?

P.S i dont live for very long in this country. i was very shocked by the state of animal care here and i am thinking to somehow set up a shelter for cats at some point. if anybody here has any experience in shelter work, please let me know. there really has to be done something, soon. perhaps the situation is getting better. the country is still recovering from 2008 war (economically) and tourists start to come again in recent years. so i hope something will change soon.