Unhappy Kitty

justagimmick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all.

I have a very anxious/nervous and possibly stressed out neutered 4-year-old male cat (Freddie). He has always had moments where he pees territorially (he does it on visitors clothes or belongings, but not 100% of the time) and I know he does it when he gets nervous.
However, he seems to be getting worse. He was sick last year and spent a week away from home, and I don't think this has helped at all.
He is on edge all the time, keeps peeing on anything 'new' (like my work laptop bag), he bites for no reason, cries constantly.
We saw the vet last night, he is healthy (no UTI). This is definitely behaviour.

I am concerned and don't really know what to do. His home situation is this;
  • 2 human, 2 cat household.
  • He has free-roam of the house. There are spaces specifically set up for them to hide and I intend to do more.
  • Our cats are outdoor/indoor cats, with a catflap to come and go as they please. Trying to keep either of them inside is a nightmare. I do not currently have a litter tray indoors as both showed a preference for going in the garden.
  • Freddie and Belle (our other cat) co-exist - they will share sleeping spaces, but don't groom or cuddle. There is some form of aggression on a regular basis; Belle is usually the aggressor (this goes in cycles and can get better)
  • We live in a neighbourhood with lots of cats. I know this does not help Freddie at all, but I don't see a realistic solution.
  • My partner and I intend to start a family next year. I am very concerned how this will affect both cats, but Freddie in particular.
  • Previous use of feliway or similar products don't seem to have any impact.
My vet has advised Calmex (this was used before to some effect), moving where we feed the cats (currently fed side by side), possibly a behaviourist (I'm looking into costs) with the last resort being rehoming.

I do not want to rehome Freddie. I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. I want to do all I can to try and give him a happy home, can anyone offer any advice? Particurlarly on preparing cats for the arrival of a human baby and maybe improving cat on cat relationships?

It stresses both of us out to think Freddie is unhappy!

Thanks in advance

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was as he more relaxed when younger? Was there a point his behavior changed - Was he the only cat once?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justagimmick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He lived with another female cat before my ex and I split, when he was about 2-years-old. He had lived with her since we got him as a kitten. He was an only cat for 9 months, and got incredibly clingy in that time. I introduced Belle slowly and they seemed to get along ok, sleeping on my bed together (which they still do)

He used to be fairly cheeky, and definitely not as nervous, if at all. He used to be all over visitors, but now hides. He had a long term infection last year in his gallbladder, that only really got treated after it spread to his liver and he became jaundiced and stopped eating. After that, he seemed to improve. I know he has been in territorial fights recently (had an abscess, and we witnessed the end of a fight last night) but other than keeping him inside I don't really know what to do. I used to lock the cat flap at night, but they would howl at the door to be let out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting a litter box inside, I think this will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justagimmick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have now supplied a litter box... which I thought he would use instantly, but nope. Things seems to be improving a little bit, we have some calming remedies in use, food bowls in separate rooms so fingers crossed it continues!