Unfriendly Feral Cat With New Babies

Coleen foster mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I am new to this site. I have been fostering dogs and for 25+ years. We only foster cats now. We built a cat room in our basement. It's like a kitty wonderland. I've had feral mom's with babies but the moms were very friendly. I now have a mom who was originally friendly. She had the babies and now she is very protective and nervous. She was growling and Even attacked me. I only go into her room now wearing boots and welding gloves. The babies are 3 weeks old and should soon start eating wet foods. They are too young to be separated. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to care for the babies with the mom in the same room?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, boy - the super-protective mom. Blessings on you for helping her, even if she doesn't appreciate it.

Is there a way you can distract her when you go into the room? Or perhaps isolate her so you can handle the kittens? Maybe you can set up a crate and give her treats in it when you need to.

They will need socializing and it sounds like she isn't trusting enough of humans to allow this.

You might also post this thread over in Pregnant Cats and Kittens. The people who use that forum have lots more experience than I do.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This thread has been moved to PC&K. Are mom and the kittens in a box? If so, is part of one side cut out so the kittens can get out and move around? It's a big help if you can pick the kittens up off the floor when they're away from mom, and not have to reach in and get them when they're beside her. She's probably extremely nervous because they're starting to wander away from her, but she'll settle down.

When there's a feral mom with kittens at the shelter, mom is usually fed wet food away from the litter so that the kittens can be checked out/weighed. They do need socializing, but it's not something you have to force at that age, even if mom isn't friendly. Just the fact that you're coming in the room and (soon) bringing food will get them accustomed to people. She'll relax when they start eating solid food and are less dependent on her, and then you can pick them up and get them used to being handled.

When a feral mother is extremely aggressive, we don't weigh the kittens every day unless it looks like they're not thriving. Generally it's done 2 - 3 times a week instead.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose you are talking a lot to this mom? Making friendly soft noses too? Its often a key. Relaxing music. Classical harp music is the best, but almost any calming music may do. There are youtube sequences of several hours. some are even labelled as for cats.
A Feliway adapter may help too...
Its wise of you to have protective gears (even including googles). The danger of a real attack isnt that big, but if you feel calmer and secure tx to protective gears, you wont sound as tensed and afraid - and thus, it will be better for both of you.

Its a wonder and paradox of rescuing work, the mommas usually do adapt, once they landed and realize nobody is harming, and this is the best practical chance for her children. So its often easier to foster a momma with kittens than an alone shy ferale. As you yourself had vitnessed earlier, no? :)

But some do remain protective high strung. By hormones or otherwise. In such occassions it gets much more difficult, and feels less rewarding....
Your time will come though, also, you have several weeks more for a good socializations of them kittens.