Unexpected advice from the vet: feed dry

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

Could a millionaire please buy me a 2 story house and a yard so my cats can get their exercise running up and down the stairs, chasing da bird and run into a spacious outdoor enclosure with the most luxuriously tall cat trees in the world?
And then one for me?

I told my vet that I was feeding my girl a mix of high quality dry and wet a minimum of once a day. She told me that my kitty has me wrapped around her paw, and that all she feeds HER cats is IAMS dry, and that's all I really need to give my Ginger. What a crock!

I'm not planning to bring Ginger back to them. Fortunately, there are at least a half dozen vet clinics in my local area.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

And then one for me?

I told my vet that I was feeding my girl a mix of high quality dry and wet a minimum of once a day. She told me that my kitty has me wrapped around her paw, and that all she feeds HER cats is IAMS dry, and that's all I really need to give my Ginger. What a crock!

I'm not planning to bring Ginger back to them. Fortunately, there are at least a half dozen vet clinics in my local area.
Don't get mad at the vet. Unfortunately they don't usually know a lot about nutrition - they get very minimal knowledge in this area at med school.

I kind of treat it like anything else - if I want information about plumbing, I'll go to a plumber, an electrician I'll ask an electrician. I wouldn't expect the plumber to know a lot about electricity. It's possible he might, but more likely he wouldn't.

Having said that, I wouldn't want anyone other than a vet treating my kitties for medical problems but will get my nutrition information elsewhere.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Don't get mad at the vet. Unfortunately they don't usually know a lot about nutrition - they get very minimal knowledge in this area at med school.
Actually, it's only one of a few reasons why I am not going to bring Ginger back to this particular vet. Add in: unnecessary tests that cost over $100 (testing her for cat scratch fever at 10 months old when I'd had her for 8 months and been kitten scratched to pieces already - totally unnecessary!!) Add in: the fact that they never called me to check to see if I'd found Ginger after she got out this weekend. I'd left flyers on their door, and on some other vet clinics, and the others all took the time to call me to make sure I'm okay and to see if Ginger came home, but not THIS vet! Add in: the fact that her services are more expensive than others in the area. Expensive does not equal better.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but not all vets have a whole clue. Just like people doctors, for every vet that graduated at the top of their class, there are hundreds of them out there in practice that graduated in the BOTTOM of their class!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Actually, it's only one of a few reasons why I am not going to bring Ginger back to this particular vet. Add in: unnecessary tests that cost over $100 (testing her for cat scratch fever at 10 months old when I'd had her for 8 months and been kitten scratched to pieces already - totally unnecessary!!) Add in: the fact that they never called me to check to see if I'd found Ginger after she got out this weekend. I'd left flyers on their door, and on some other vet clinics, and the others all took the time to call me to make sure I'm okay and to see if Ginger came home, but not THIS vet! Add in: the fact that her services are more expensive than others in the area. Expensive does not equal better.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but not all vets have a whole clue. Just like people doctors, for every vet that graduated at the top of their class, there are hundreds of them out there in practice that graduated in the BOTTOM of their class!
I hear ya! And I would change vets too if I experienced the same as you with this vet.