Uneven pupil dilation

hanzosbm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

We noticed that our adult male cat (Max) had something unusual going on with his left eye this morning.  It's as if half of his left eye is stuck dilated (open) as you'll see in the picture.  It is creating an almost triangular shape.  The normal half of his eye is dilating normally based on light, but the other half isn't.  I looked up some things and everything about uneven pupil dilation points to anisocoria, but that's when one pupil dilates differently from the other. I can't find anything about a single eye dilating unevenly.  I only noticed it this morning, and he's the kind of guy that always likes to be up in your face, so I would think I'd have noticed it sooner.  I haven't heard any noises that would make me think he suffered some kind of trauma, neither of his eyes are red or have any kind of discharge.  It doesn't seem sensitive as he kept head butting me (even on the left side) wanting attention.  He's moving around just fine and was even playing a bit earlier.  So he seems fine other than the way it looks, but I'm not sure what this is.  Any thoughts?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure what this is but I think he should see a vet asap.
That was my thought, as well.  Something neurological may be going on and better to get it checked out sooner than later.    Max is really beautiful, btw.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to second getting Max in to see your vet. Try getting an appointment tomorrow if possible.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it could be from a few things, most likely infection or an injury. Either way, a vet visit is a good idea.

My cat has one distorted pupil, but hers has been like that since I got her and the vets don't know for sure what caused it. She's fine and can see normally, but I just have to watch it and I've been instructed to bring her in if there's ever any change, swelling, or discomfort.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It can be a sign of cancer or high blood pressure too. Definitely get it checked out if it's something new. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max is beautiful!  But there's something weird going on.  You can't always tell by a cat's behavior because they are very good at hiding things.  Let us know how things go at the vet.  

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks to me like there is a notch in the iris. It may not be treatable, but by all means, see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanzosbm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately both my fiance and I had some unforeseen circumstances that are preventing us from getting him to the vet today, but hopefully we can get him in tomorrow. Also, thank you for the kind words, he is beautiful, albeit fat and at the moment looking a bit derpy. After doing some reading, I'm guessing that it's either Iris Atrophy or a problem with the sphincter muscle that controls dilation. Both seem to be age related and untreatable, but we'll wait to see what the vet says.
On the plus side, he's still himself and was chasing our other cat around the house at high speed last night and didn't take a header into anything, so...yay for that.

hanzosbm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Y'all ain't gonna believe this. As I was sitting here, he just sneezed and it went away. Seriously, I can't make this crap up.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is super weird!  He should still definitely see a vet.  Bring the pictures you took.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'all ain't gonna believe this. As I was sitting here, he just sneezed and it went away. Seriously, I can't make this crap up.
Seriously?  
  I'd still take the pic of his iris to the vet and tell him how it went away.  If it stays away.  

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to have to bookmark this so the next time someone writes in with this problem, I can suggest tickling the cat's nose with a feather!  
   That is really strange - I'd definitely still have him checked over.   

hanzosbm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, good call. And actually, that's a lot easier. He doesn't travel well, so being able to go in by myself with the picture and explanation (at least as a preliminary measure) will be much easier.
By the way, this is totally reminding me of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
"Oh my gosh, her eyes aren't crossed anymore!"
"Ain't that sumthin? She falls down a well, eyes go crossed. Gets kicked by a mule, they go straight again. I dunno."

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I would bring the cat in too.  I would want blood pressure and everything checked if I were you.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, actually I meant to take the cat in too along with the picture, especially if his eye stays normal.  Something's weird about that pupil.  

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, good call. And actually, that's a lot easier. He doesn't travel well, so being able to go in by myself with the picture and explanation (at least as a preliminary measure) will be much easier.
By the way, this is totally reminding me of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
"Oh my gosh, her eyes aren't crossed anymore!"
"Ain't that sumthin? She falls down a well, eyes go crossed. Gets kicked by a mule, they go straight again. I dunno."
LMAO! 

Even if it didn't fix itself, I have a cat with one pupil that is wonky. It's usually not the same size as the other and seems to have reduced sensitivity to light. She gets around no problem. I tell people that's how she can see into the future.

jeanne38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anisocoria   condition where the pupils dont dilate evenly.. can be serious or not..but a cats eyes dilating unevenly is not normal