Underweight kitten

Esz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I hope I can get some adive.

I have a 4 week old kitten in my care now, he's only weighing 187 grams now. (Has gained 20 grams since being in my care).

Im just extremely worried about her, just so tiny. I will be going to the vet tomorrow I'd say.

Im just unsure if I should feed her by weight or by his age.

She had three litter mates that are small but look so much better, they are still with the owners. However it's kinda like a back door breeder who doesn't care about the cats at all. Animal police has been contacted but no follow up yet.

And I'm just worried and scared for this little wee one. Just trying see what I need to think about and such.

She pooped twice, which looked healthy and peed to. Has fleas but she's definitely to weak for a bath. I have been combing her though.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! She’s 4 weeks old and only weighs 6.5 ounces? Are you sure your scale is set correctly? She should weigh close to a pound by now. Poor thing.

How are you feeding her? Bottle? Syringe? Miracle nipples? Which brand formula and powdered or pre-mixed? How often and how much are you feeding?

Once I know particulars I can better advise. Thank you for taking her in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Esz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she is born on 1st of August! She had a rough start, the mother is underweight and still had two kittens from a previous litter at home (4 months old).

The scale is set correctly, she is really so tiny, the others of her litter are 217, 270 and 290 now. (This is also after feeding them extra as the 217 was 190 first).

I'm bottle feeding whenever she makes noise really seems to be after every 3/4 hours. I just fed her again and she drank nearly 8 ml in one go and had a pee. It's a kitten milk powdered called Lactol was the only one I could get at this time.

And I had royal canin mother & kitten which I mixed with water. She thusfar has no interest into this yet and only wants the bottle.

The other litter mates eat this extra once a day and get a bottle and then hopefully still their mother milk.

Started to groom herself to and seemed a bit more active. Loves to snuggle up to me though it's adorable.
IMG-20230903-WA0071.jpeg

Esz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She made it through the night! I'm so happy. She's now 190 gram but did do a big poo. I hope to see more weight gain in the evening.

She also started looking after her bottle, so she wanted some of the royal canin paté mixed with milk. She has eaten now about 4 spoonfulls each feeding!

But what a fighter.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She made it through the night! I'm so happy. She's now 190 gram but did do a big poo. I hope to see more weight gain in the evening.

She also started looking after her bottle, so she wanted some of the royal canin paté mixed with milk. She has eaten now about 4 spoonfulls each feeding!

But what a fighter.
I agree, you are doing nicely... :)

Whey you write she went up 20 g since you had her; how long had you had her? So we know what her daily raise is.... Always wise to keep an eye on the daily raise if you arent very experienced... The easiest way to get som direction on what is going.

Count of the amount of daily feeding, is by practical reasons, along her current weight... (ie 8g/28g a day, should be about 50 ml daily at this moment) But of course, if she wishes more, give her more.
Age-adequate amounts she probably wont manage...

I want to add, goats milk is almost always useful, and also cheaper than kmr. Raw goats milk has some extra advantages but may be pricey... But almost any non diet variation of goats milk can be used... You can blend it with the kmr instead of water (typically 1+2 water, but 1+3 with goats milk)

Perhaps also some nice vitamine paste from the pet shop.

Esz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's with the vet now.

I've had her for two nights and she was 195g. So gained 35g since. She started playing a bit and getting her own character back. So it's looking better but not sure if she will make it yet.

I surrendered her to the vet for the best care now. And waiting for animal police for the other kittens and cats at the house.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see.

Essentially the same advices for the others. Littermates are much underweight them too. Even if not rhat gravely.

Esz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for keeping me sane during this.

They are all in good hands now, the animal police came and have taken them in now. The owners refused care, so the vet had to give me back the kitten but called animal police for me so action could finally be taken. Due to the rules in my home country I was unable to get help through animal police.

Also the adult cats have been taken to, they are also in a bad state. And there most likely will come a court case for animal abuse.

They all were underweight, dehydrated and most likely are anemic from the fleas.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
What does animal police do with the cats and kittens?
Animal police is probably that countries equivalant of the spca. Basicaly they investigate cruilty and neglect cases and from OP discription, this sounds like it could be more than just a neglect case.

Make sure the actual police get involved if someone or yourself is at risk. Where there is animal cruilty there is a very high chance domestic violence is also going on.

Esz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What does animal police do with the cats and kittens?
They bring them to a vet. And if the vet agrees there's abuse and neglect. A case will be made so the owners won't be able to get pets in the future. Which we really hope this is the case in this situation.

Esz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Animal police is probably that countries equivalant of the spca. Basicaly they investigate cruilty and neglect cases and from OP discription, this sounds like it could be more than just a neglect case.

Make sure the actual police get involved if someone or yourself is at risk. Where there is animal cruilty there is a very high chance domestic violence is also going on.
Exactly there's more going on. And police has indeed put a flag on my address and phone number so they will respond quickly if something happens.

I did get a call this morning that the kitten has made it. They went against policy to tell me, but said I'm the only reason she was still alive so deserved to know.

Esz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will the kitten be returned to you? Is there a possibility that you could foster the mother and kittens?
Possible yes as they were very full atm. But as I'm living on the same street as the family it might be a safety issue.

They did ask if I wanted to work for them though as I did such a good job. So I might get some other kittens in the future.