Underweight Kitten

littlebuderphly93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Momma abandoned the day she was born. Her and her brother were on the brink of death. She is now 2 weeks today. Unfortunately brother passed two days ago and since then she has not been wanting to eat. Have been feeding kmr for newborn. Was up to almost 8ml every feeding but she refused several. She is back to eating 6 ml but she is only doing 3 on her own ish and the other 3 is a one drop at a time thing untill she refuses again. She is Down to 138g. Looking for tips to help her through this and get her nice and plump again. I don't want to loose her too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the weight needs to double. Which brand formula are you using? Is it powdered? Is the kitten pooping normally? Do you have a heat source 24/7? Can you add a stuffed lovey?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell stuffed kitties with a heartbeat to help comfort orphaned kittens.

Hmmmmmm I had a kitten that was failing to thrive. What I did was unconventional, lucky it worked and before I knew about panleukopenia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlebuderphly93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am feeding her KMR first step powdered. Yes she has a constant heat source. I don't have a stuffed animal in with her because she really likes this fluffy towel I have to she snuggles with that. She was pooping every day until her brother died. She didn't poop until last night and it was a big blow out. But she didn't eat anything at all for a day and a half after her brother passed.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops didn’t mean to post I wasn’t finished, sorry.

I held my very sweet, calm, neutered male cat belly up and calmly explained to him how she was an orphan like he was. How she missed her mom. I pet him and talked to him while the kitten ‘nursed’ off of him. After that he let her nurse off of him whenever she wanted. She started eating with gusto and made it! (My boy was calmly interested in the kittens before hand and never showed any signs of aggression.)

However if cat will adopt a orphan kitty is largely personal. There is no way to force it or predict the outcome. So my best advice is to practice your fake puuuurrrrr, put her onyourchest ang groom her with a wash cloth over your finger or a tooth brush.

littlebuderphly93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To be honest I talk to her all the time and I let her Nestle up under my chin with her towel so she can warm up with my body heat and hear my heartbeat. She loves being brushed with a toothbrush and petted and she used to purr all the time but she is just not the same meowing little ball of fiesty that she was before her brother died. Now she just wants to sit there and stare off. I wouldn't even really call it lethargic. She just doesn't WANT to....anything.

littlebuderphly93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have gotten her to eat 9ml twice this morning! Maybe we are turning a corner?? Haven't weighed her yet as my boyfriend had a job interview and I had to take him but she is nuzzled up in my neck for warmth and seems to be a bit more interested in stuff.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mix the kmr with flavorless clear pedialyte for babies instead of water.
Not that she needs the extra salts but there is some extra glucose sugar. A way to boost in some extra calories without any extra difficulty.