Status
Not open for further replies.

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
if you read the backstory, TW death,
🩷back story🩷 : I have a feral mom named Mavis she’s extremely aggressive and just super unhappy inside all together, she’s lived in my neighborhood for about 5 almost 6 years and has had about 12 litters in her short life. I finally trapped her and she’s had her last and final litter. She had three beautiful babies, Soup, Puddles and little Toast. I watched on a nanny camera in her den while she had them on the early morning of April 6th 2023 soup first, then puddles and then very clearly a runt toast. Later on April 9th 2023, Easter morning. I weighed the babies as per usual and soup had rapidly lost weight overnight and he was cold to the touch, I quickly tried warming him up and attempting bottle feeding which he didn’t want to eat. I could just feel that he was dying. Before he passed, he had this awful yellow goo coming from his butt (like literally yellow gel poop) and he had discharge coming from his nose. I didn’t take him to our er vet because I knew he wasn’t gonna make it despite their efforts( I called and asked the doc and she agreed with me.) I didn’t want soup to die around strangers, loud noises, and an all around Scarry environment, I know he couldn’t hear or see but I still didn’t feel right doing so. So I did the only thing I could do, sit with him and wait. I had him outside just brushing him with a tooth brush until he took his last few breaths. Losing him broke my heart and so after we chose a burial spot, I went back into Mavis’s room and scooped up the kittens with an elaborate device I made the night prior and the little girl was great super chunk and super toasty warm, and then came toast he had lost weight too. I was extremely paranoid so I got the heating pad and milk ready for him.I’ve bottle fed him up to this point now being (April 24th 2023) he got to the point about 3-4 days ago he was gaining all on his own from mom, then he rapidly lost weight AGAIN. At this point his eyes are open and he screams out every time he’s handled, trying with the same formula he used to enjoy he refused the bottle I was wondering to myself if because now he can see he doesn’t want the unnatural way anymore, but a quick switch to KMR and he’s back on the bottle (still with mom though)

💕Question/problem💕:Toast drops weight and gains some back over and over. I looked Up the kitten lady and saw a guide to how they grow she said@ 2 weeks old they should be anywhere from 250 grams to 350 grams today pudds was 313 right around where shes supposed to be, toast however is only 207 and dropping over and over than gaining a little over that.. he is now so much smaller it’s like his bones don’t match his body because of how much weight he’s missing. I’m wondering if you guys think I should see a vet about him, he’s never cold, is on a regular eating schedule of every 3 hrs as directed. Sometimes it takes awhile for him to want to eat but he’s been doing a little of it anyway. I’m kind of at a loss yk I’ve only done this one time before Is there something to put in the milk? Does this sound like disease? Other than his weight problem he seems ok, aside for some pretty heavy breathing in my opinion that I don’t really see out of puddles, or am I just crazy and is this completely normal? I’m worried about him :( I’m thinking vet but I also want to know if anyone else has gone through this or know maybe what soup had.

pics of him and sissy puddles is what I’m told is tortishell but I just call her a calico 🤷 and the yellow/orange is toast

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your runt is close to where he needs to be at 2 weeks old. Kittens should weigh 8 ounces (226 grams) at 2 weeks, and he weighs 207 grams, which is 7.3 ounces. So he’s in the ball park, and being the runt, it’s okay for him to be a bit smaller. Runts catch up eventually!

What concerns me is the panting and gaining and losing. Is he losing just a few grams, or a lot? Does he pant all the time?

It might be best to see a vet in case he needs antibiotics. If he’s inhaled milk into his lungs he may have an infection that is affecting his breathing. This can be dangerous. I’d get him checked over.

Do keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Every 3 hours as directed? Could you manage to give it more often? The same amount each time, but more often, say every 2 hours?
does he hasnt no appetite, or is he too weak to eat up his whole portion? If he is too weak, you can try to put on a droplet of white caro syrup on his gum, inside of the lip, a few minutes before you feed... This should give more energhy...

You can mix his powder kmr with flavorless pedialyte, instead of water. the same as for human children... Pedialyte does contain some glucose sugar, so its some extra calories for free...

If you can get raw goats milk, it may be worth a try. Alone or mix it with kmr; the ratio will be 1:3, isntead fo the usual 1:2 water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Your runt is close to where he needs to be at 2 weeks old. Kittens should weigh 8 ounces (226 grams) at 2 weeks, and he weighs 207 grams, which is 7.3 ounces. So he’s in the ball park, and being the runt, it’s okay for him to be a bit smaller. Runts catch up eventually!

What concerns me is the panting and gaining and losing. Is he losing just a few grams, or a lot? Does he pant all the time?

It might be best to see a vet in case he needs antibiotics. If he’s inhaled milk into his lungs he may have an infection that is affecting his breathing. This can be dangerous. I’d get him checked over.

Do keep us posted!
we’re trying like mercilessly to get him into a vet of course every vet is booked weeks out in Tampa 😵💫 currently calling all around to find someone who can see him asap. He’s three weeks old tomorrow and still so much smaller than puddles we were 204g last night and dropped to 195g back up to 202g now though, he’s dones this ever since he first started on the bottle. Drop gain maintain gain gain drop maintain while reaching each milestone. 100g,120g,130g,140g, etc etc
Every time I’ve looked over at him he seems to just breath hard, I wanted to attach a video of his breathing but wasn’t able.
also want to mention he has had terramycin 3 or 4 times when his eyes were first starting to openbecause one was emitting a lot of goop and keeping that eye shut, with my last batch of kittens this worked wonders as did for him. I had wondered if that could affect him appetite… but he’s holding his eye open all in his own now so that med ofc isn’t needed now I reckon. However that is a type of antibiotic so would that kind have helped any ?
the vet is our main goal atm waiting on calls back as everything is totally busy, figures. I also wonder what you guys think about having him dewormed they’re at the age anyway, maybe it might help?

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Every 3 hours as directed? Could you manage to give it more often? The same amount each time, but more often, say every 2 hours?
does he hasnt no appetite, or is he too weak to eat up his whole portion? If he is too weak, you can try to put on a droplet of white caro syrup on his gum, inside of the lip, a few minutes before you feed... This should give more energhy...

You can mix his powder kmr with flavorless pedialyte, instead of water. the same as for human children... Pedialyte does contain some glucose sugar, so its some extra calories for free...

If you can get raw goats milk, it may be worth a try. Alone or mix it with kmr; the ratio will be 1:3, isntead fo the usual 1:2 water.
when he was one and two weeks he was getting a bottle every 2 hrs and most of the time refusing moving to every three hours as of now he eats every time but still not the full 10-14 ml maybe one, two? I keep wondering if I should go back to the syringe by how little he does eat. We are currently using the pet ag KMR in the can, would it be worth trying powder and Pedialyte anyways? Or adding it to the already made liquid?
I’ll have to look into raw goats milk I have no idea where I’d find that.
definitely going to try cayro syrup to see if that changes anything. He does take awhile to latch, I’ve noticed his little teeth coming in could that be bothering him? At feeding time sometimes it takes multiple time to get a latch then he’ll only eat a little bit and spit it out. Only getting abt 1 or 2 ish ml

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely switch to PetAg powdered. Pre-mixed causes diarrhea. I never recommend pre-mixed for kittens. This may solve the problem of gaining and losing — but not the panting.

You can upload a video to YouTube, then post the link here.

Cattycoves Cattycoves

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely switch to PetAg powdered. Pre-mixed causes diarrhea. I never recommend pre-mixed for kittens. This may solve the problem of gaining and losing — but not the panting.

You can upload a video to YouTube, then post the link here.

Cattycoves Cattycoves
I’ll order some powder KMR, his last feeding he only took 1.5 ml 😣

thanks for the YouTube video tip! I’ll post one !
I made a “diy” “incubator” From an old hamster cage (was sanitized and everything before use, I think we’re gonna keep him strictly on bottle till he bulks up
He had a heating pad though I wanna get a better one so recommendations are so appreciative, and he had a “snuggle puppy” with a heart beat in it. Still no vet tho 💔 everything is just packed for some reason.
I really appreciate everyone’s kindness here🙂

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How hot is where he lies? Is the heating pad set on low under a blanket with room to move off if he gets too warm? The panting may be because he is too hot. Try turning off the heating pad to see if it makes a difference.

Cattycoves Cattycoves

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
if you read the backstory, TW death,
🩷back story🩷 : I have a feral mom named Mavis she’s extremely aggressive and just super unhappy inside all together, she’s lived in my neighborhood for about 5 almost 6 years and has had about 12 litters in her short life. I finally trapped her and she’s had her last and final litter. She had three beautiful babies, Soup, Puddles and little Toast. I watched on a nanny camera in her den while she had them on the early morning of April 6th 2023 soup first, then puddles and then very clearly a runt toast. Later on April 9th 2023, Easter morning. I weighed the babies as per usual and soup had rapidly lost weight overnight and he was cold to the touch, I quickly tried warming him up and attempting bottle feeding which he didn’t want to eat. I could just feel that he was dying. Before he passed, he had this awful yellow goo coming from his butt (like literally yellow gel poop) and he had discharge coming from his nose. I didn’t take him to our er vet because I knew he wasn’t gonna make it despite their efforts( I called and asked the doc and she agreed with me.) I didn’t want soup to die around strangers, loud noises, and an all around Scarry environment, I know he couldn’t hear or see but I still didn’t feel right doing so. So I did the only thing I could do, sit with him and wait. I had him outside just brushing him with a tooth brush until he took his last few breaths. Losing him broke my heart and so after we chose a burial spot, I went back into Mavis’s room and scooped up the kittens with an elaborate device I made the night prior and the little girl was great super chunk and super toasty warm, and then came toast he had lost weight too. I was extremely paranoid so I got the heating pad and milk ready for him.I’ve bottle fed him up to this point now being (April 24th 2023) he got to the point about 3-4 days ago he was gaining all on his own from mom, then he rapidly lost weight AGAIN. At this point his eyes are open and he screams out every time he’s handled, trying with the same formula he used to enjoy he refused the bottle I was wondering to myself if because now he can see he doesn’t want the unnatural way anymore, but a quick switch to KMR and he’s back on the bottle (still with mom though)

💕Question/problem💕:Toast drops weight and gains some back over and over. I looked Up the kitten lady and saw a guide to how they grow she said@ 2 weeks old they should be anywhere from 250 grams to 350 grams today pudds was 313 right around where shes supposed to be, toast however is only 207 and dropping over and over than gaining a little over that.. he is now so much smaller it’s like his bones don’t match his body because of how much weight he’s missing. I’m wondering if you guys think I should see a vet about him, he’s never cold, is on a regular eating schedule of every 3 hrs as directed. Sometimes it takes awhile for him to want to eat but he’s been doing a little of it anyway. I’m kind of at a loss yk I’ve only done this one time before Is there something to put in the milk? Does this sound like disease? Other than his weight problem he seems ok, aside for some pretty heavy breathing in my opinion that I don’t really see out of puddles, or am I just crazy and is this completely normal? I’m worried about him :( I’m thinking vet but I also want to know if anyone else has gone through this or know maybe what soup had.

pics of him and sissy puddles is what I’m told is tortishell but I just call her a calico 🤷 and the yellow/orange is toast
I’ve been calling all over Tampa at this point looking for literally ANYWHERE to find KMR, 17 phone calls later someone has it. Or so I think. They indeed had Kmr THE SECOND STEP 😃 so I picked up this nutri-vet. Is it any good? Please tell me it’s any good 😭 can it still be used with pedialyte ? I’m on the way to get it 😣 he seems like he’s doing worse I’m posting a video on YouTube of his breathing asap. Pray for him.

Attachments

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
How hot is where he lies? Is the heating pad set on low under a blanket with room to move off if he gets too warm? The panting may be because he is too hot. Try turning off the heating pad to see if it makes a difference.

Cattycoves Cattycoves
It (the heating pad) is under two blankets and stays warm it didn’t seem that hot to hand whatsoever? I’ll try this as soon as I get home.

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my, this is NOT normal breathing at all. He is definitely in trouble! He needs meds. He’s struggling. He needs antibiotics and a breathing treatment right away.

And Walmart usually carries regular PetAg kitten formula, powdered, in the can, for around $10 per can. I have a can in my freezer.

Where exactly are you? In Tampa? Near St. Pete?

Cattycoves Cattycoves

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I sure hope you see my posts now. It’s very critical! I’m so sorry. I hope your kitten survives.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope so too! Please keep us posted. I’m relieved you finally received my responses!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve been calling all over Tampa at this point looking for literally ANYWHERE to find KMR, 17 phone calls later someone has it. Or so I think. They indeed had Kmr THE SECOND STEP 😃 so I picked up this nutri-vet. Is it any good? Please tell me it’s any good 😭 can it still be used with pedialyte ? I’m on the way to get it 😣 he seems like he’s doing worse I’m posting a video on YouTube of his breathing asap. Pray for him.
nay, the second step isnt very good. I usually even recommend to just continue with step 1....

But if you phone so desperately, try instead for finding raw goats milk... May even be frozen raw goats milk. As it does have some potential healing properties. Even some antibiotic properties.

Otherwise, processed goat milk should work too. Almost all goats milk works as long as its no funny diet low fat variation.

Even Meyenbergs powdered goats milk works; we had forumites whom happily raised several batches of rescued kittens on this.

So goats milk IS a working alternative, if you cant get a good kmr.

If he survives his ongoning pneumonia, he shall need all supprtive care he can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.