Uncovered poop

1dog4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 month old kitten who does not cover her poop. It stinks to high heaven! I've tried two different litters:Arm and Hammer and Miss Elsies and neither work.

Please help me find a solution as it would be terrible for this to continue throughout her life! I have 3 other cats stepping in it. She always poops in the corner of the box and it sticks to the side of it. I have 5 litter boxes . They're large and cleaned once a day.

IPLEASE HELP!

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just do not cover their poop, and while I know it's frustratging in all honestly I recommend against taking any action to 'correct' the behavior since she is using the box.  If you try to modify the behavior you do run a real risk of signals getting crossed and her deciding not to poop in thebox anymore, at which point you'd have a real problem.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but unfortunately this is not unusual and many cat owners do deal with this :/ Perhaps others will come along withbetter suggestions.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, tulosai tulosai is right - some cats just don't Bury their poop. I currently have 2 cats - Shadow half buries his, and Asha doesn't manage it at all...she tries, but all her 'covering' motions take place outside the box :confuse3: :lol:

It is sometimes possible to teach a cat to cover their poop by going to the box when they do it and covering it yourself, using the same motions a cat would. It's a bit hit and miss, but might be worth a try.

Hour best option is probably to look at the kitten's diet. Poop isn't meant to stink the house out. If it does,it's because the cat or kitten actually isn't able to utilise all the nutrients in the diet, so they pass through undigested. By feeding a high meat, low carb wet diet (or, even better, a raw diet) the poops should become smaller, drier and less smelly - basically because the cat is able to use more of what it's eating.

The other thing I'd say is that, if the poop seems abnormally smelly, it could be a sign of some kind of digestive issue. Worms or other parasites are most likely in a kitten, but it can also be a sign of something more serious. It could well be worth a vet check just to make sure everything is as is should be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1dog4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purrly has already been tested for worms parasites including Giardiasis, corona virus, and Tritrichomonas. All negative. She's on hills ID and Fortifloa. Vet is clueless having tested for the usual culprits.
I'm probably going to try S and C chicken next.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad she's negative for parasites. That does point towards diet being the culprit. Of course, it's possible she was having the same issues before you adopted her and you just weren't informed (when I got my dog from a very reputable rescue centre I wasn't told he had digestive issues. I was left to discover that for myself).

I hope you're able to find a diet that works for her. Hills really isn't the most digestible (or species appropriate) diet out there and contains lots of potential allergens. Fingers crossed it was simply something in that that didn't agree with her.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I feel your pain. Sara doesn't bury hers and omg, the stench. Sometimes it's at night and then Lucky goes in afterwards, and manages to step in it before jumping into my bed. Yeah... 

Not sure why she doesn't. She seems to sometimes but other times just doesn't feel like it I guess? Never thought of it as a problem per se though, just another part of her personal preferences (I call her Princess for many reasons after all).