Uncontrollable Diarrhea After Visiting The Vet.. 2m Old

mnvo11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I picked up a stray kitten on the street and she hasnt opened her eyes yet. I've been hand rearing her with KMR formula and she grows up to be a VERY active and overall a healthy cat. Since she was younger and on formula, she's been constipated, her stool is very hard, so I try to make thinner formula and give her lots of water. Since she was 7weeks I started weaning her but she wouldn't even touch any canned food. I gave her Royal Canin mother babycat can, she turned it down but she really likes the dry food, same brand. Ever since she started eating dry food I noticed her stool has gotten looser, although I weaned her very slowly, and now she's completely off formula (9w old) and I wanted to take her to the vet for her first check up. She's been very active, no sign of fatigue or anything at all

I mentioned to the vet how she's having slight diarrhea. They gave her the first vaccine shot, de-worm, and gave her medicine for the diarrhea which I believe to be Kaopectate. They also took a stool sample for a stool test. Ever since she got home from the vet, her butt has been leaking liquid poop non stop. It's like she cant control it. Still very active, drinking and eating like normal. I've had to put a cone on her to stop her from licking the poop. Have to constantly rinse her butt cuz I don't wanna rub it since it's looking pretty red already.

I'm extremely worried because the symptom has been going on for more than 1 day. (took her to the vet on saturday, they close on sunday, now is monday), i called this morning and was told to bring her back in. I'm not sure what's happening, before the vet, she did have diarrhea but it's not as loose as this and she was still able to control it. Now it's non stop. I will take her to the vet later today. Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this. thank you!!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she ever been wormed?

Edit: sorry, just woke up and haven't had coffee yet. I see that she has been. You could try adding some pure pumpkin to her food. Not the pumpkin pie stuff, pure packed.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible that the de-wormer has caused the diarrhea. Have you taken her back to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnvo11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet called me back and said her stool test result came back as negative - she doesnt have parasites or worms at all. And they said to just keep an eye on her and bring her back tuesday night (tomorrow). I came home today and she was still leaking. Rinsed her butt and took her off the cone for a bit, she's still as active and crazy as ever. I did the tent test to see if she's dehydrated but shes not. So not sure what's going on, it's just making a huge mess out of my house right now :cringe:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a side effect of the vaccines. Have you tried adding some plain canned pumpkin to some wet food? You could also try some plain yogurt to see if that helps. You didn't also make a change to her food did you? Is the stool really foul smelling?