Uncontrolable appetite... seemingly no cause?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Elizabeth M. Hodgkins, DVM, Esq., (who once worked for Hill's Pet Foods), author of the YourDiabeticCat.com and "Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life" talks about this in the article, "Diabetes and Obesity: Preventable Epidemics" on the Feline-Nutrition.org site under their Health section.

Here, she's quoted by Timothy J Govers, D.V.M., Diplomate, American Board of Veterinary Practitioners:
"Another problem: in the same evolutionary process, the signal to the cat that it ate enough (satiety signal) was related to the amount of protein and fat consumed. Consumption of carbohydrates has minimal effect on the satiety signal. As a result, cats over eat dry food since the carbohydrates in the kibble don't satiate them, and constantly overload on sugars. The end result is fat cats, and worse, because the excess sugar causes repeated surges of insulin from pancreatic reserves, diabetic cats."
There are other references out there, but this is what I had to hand quickly.

AC
I am more interested in hearing from the actual owner of said cat. But what you posted is interesting. But again, not selling it for me

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

I am more interested in hearing from the actual owner of said cat. But what you posted is interesting. But again, not selling it for me
That's fine with me. I'm not trying to "sell" anything, I was just being courteous and responding to your query as to a reference. *shrug*

AC

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's fine with me. I'm not trying to "sell" anything, I was just being courteous and responding to your query as to a reference. *shrug*

AC
Ugh...sorry that must have come out wrong
. I just mean that I find actual cases more believable/interesting then some studies.

Did that come out right? If not
you and sorry

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ugh...sorry that must have come out wrong
. I just mean that I find actual cases more believable/interesting then some studies.

Did that come out right? If not
you and sorry
We're good, Cat Person!

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaisyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat Person, what Auntie Crazy is quoting all makes sense to me in my situation. Josies sister, Jem, died of diabetes and ate more dry food than wet food, though she didn't get obese. They're from the same litter and last year our vet told us Josie could be allergic to the dry food, so we took her off it. Though Jem had very severe diabetes when she was diagnosed and it was to the point where she more than likely would not have lived happily with us sticking her with needles everyday, one more reason for me to be extra extra cautious with Jo and her uncontrolable appetite, which I read could be an onset of diabetes. Jem did start eating more and more, but she was never fat, which is what was scary for a diabetic cat and why she hadnt been diagnosed sooner. also why I'm having Josies blood panels run as often as I can.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaisyd

Cat Person, what Auntie Crazy is quoting all makes sense to me in my situation. Josies sister, Jem, died of diabetes and ate more dry food than wet food, though she didn't get obese. They're from the same litter and last year our vet told us Josie could be allergic to the dry food, so we took her off it. Though Jem had very severe diabetes when she was diagnosed and it was to the point where she more than likely would not have lived happily with us sticking her with needles everyday, one more reason for me to be extra extra cautious with Jo and her uncontrolable appetite, which I read could be an onset of diabetes. Jem did start eating more and more, but she was never fat, which is what was scary for a diabetic cat and why she hadnt been diagnosed sooner. also why I'm having Josies blood panels run as often as I can.
I want to start out by saying I did not mean Auntie Crazy was wrong. I was just very interested in your personal cats case.

As far as the possibility of diabetes goes I had a diabetic cat with severe diabetes. He had to have insulin shots three times a day. It never upset him. But he was a very sweet cat.

The diabetic cat I owned too needed a change of diet. He was always hungry like your cat. But he did gain weight. However my cat vomited very often due to the fact he ate at a frantic pace.

I can say however that once he was on the right insulin dosage his frantic eating and vomiting almost disappeared. He also lived till the age of about fifteen. I got him at around five years old so I am not positive of his age.

As you stated I would recommend you check your cat for diabetes as soon as possible. Please let us know what happens.

As always I hope this made sense and if you need me to rephrase please let me know.

We're good, Cat Person!

AC
I am glad we are good Auntie Crazy

kaisyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I want to start out by saying I did not mean Auntie Crazy was wrong. I was just very interested in your personal cats case.

As far as the possibility of diabetes goes I had a diabetic cat with severe diabetes. He had to have insulin shots three times a day. It never upset him. But he was a very sweet cat.

The diabetic cat I owned too needed a change of diet. He was always hungry like your cat. But he did gain weight. However my cat vomited very often due to the fact he ate at a frantic pace.

I can say however that once he was on the right insulin dosage his frantic eating and vomiting almost disappeared. He also lived till the age of about fifteen. I got him at around five years old so I am not positive of his age.

As you stated I would recommend you check your cat for diabetes as soon as possible. Please let us know what happens.

As always I hope this made sense and if you need me to rephrase please let me know.
Haha sorry I didnt mean to make it sound like I thought you were saying Auntie Crazy was wrong. I was just giving you a situation from the owner of a cat that what she said seemed to make sense c: <3

also Josie has been tested for diabetes a year ago and last week and still remains to be not diabetic, luckily.

Also, Auntie Crazy, I just bought her some chicken to cut up and feed to her in strips. I dont want to feed her just this for too long so how long should I in order to see if it helps? I know you said two days will probably show results if this is what the problem is... but there's always that "what if", you know?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaisyd

Also, Auntie Crazy, I just bought her some chicken to cut up and feed to her in strips. I dont want to feed her just this for too long so how long should I in order to see if it helps? I know you said two days will probably show results if this is what the problem is... but there's always that "what if", you know?
Try it for two days and see what happens. I've seen recommendations of nothing but chicken and rice for several days, so I'd guess a limited diet could probably be ok for that long, but I've never done it myself. Hmmm, if you gave her chicken with just a sprinkling (like lightly shaking salt over your food) of dried finely-crushed egg shells, you could certainly go for several days.

Try it for two, 'though, and see how it goes first.

Good luck!

AC

kaisyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Try it for two days and see what happens. I've seen recommendations of nothing but chicken and rice for several days, so I'd guess a limited diet could probably be ok for that long, but I've never done it myself. Hmmm, if you gave her chicken with just a sprinkling (like lightly shaking salt over your food) of dried finely-crushed egg shells, you could certainly go for several days.

Try it for two, 'though, and see how it goes first.

Good luck!

AC
okay thank you very much!!!
I'll post results