Uncommon toileting

cleo1209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

This evening my male 8month old kitten randomly cwtched down in the corner of the bedroom, on top of clothing and did a wee, he has never exhibited this sort of behaviour before as both him and my 10month old female are both litter trained. As concerning as this out of the blue behaviour was, what concerned me more was the fact he then just stood and squatted over the spot for a good 10minutes and made growling noises. Has anybody else experienced this kind of behaviour?

Thanks in advance [emoji]128049[/emoji]

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
This kind of behavior is often indicative of a urinary tract infection. A vet needs to check him out - he probably needs antibiotics. It is not uncommon for male cats to get blocked, which is an emergency, so keep an eye on him and make sure he is able to pee. Are you feeding him wet or dry food? Urinary tract problems are more common in cats fed on dry food because they don't get enough water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cleo1209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

He is fed on wet food mainly but they have biscuits throughout the day too, i have seen that it could be a UTI, came on so quuikly though. One minute he was playing and being himself then this. Im concerned that its saturday and my vets isnt open now til tuesday. Is there things i can do to help him until i can get him to the vet? I didnt discipline him because he looked so scared and pained at the time.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
That's great he's on wet food already - that's a large part of the battle. I'm not sure what you can do for him short of keeping a good eye on how much he drinks and pees until you can get him to the vet. If his urinary output decreases to dribbles or nothing at all and/or if he develops blood in his urine, he should go to an emergency vet. You said he seemed to be in pain, so it might be a good thing to take him anyway.

Be sure to clean your bed linens with enzymatic cleaners to completely break down the urine so he doesn't smell traces and keep going there.

Encourage him to drink liquids if possible. Adding a little water to his wet food will help.

Good luck with this. UTI's can be very frustrating to deal with. My Chula took over two months and three antibiotics before she was finally better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cleo1209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats fab thank you. Ive cleaned it up with what i can at 11pm on a saturday night and will get an enzyme cleaner tomorrow. He seems to be ok at the moment just very on edge. Ill see what happens over night and assess where is best to go in the morning. Thank you for your help & support. I was a little panicked earlier

:)