Uncharted Territory

Tabitha121065

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. I am excited. My Thomasina passed away 6 years ago at age 17 and I have not had a cat since. My life has been absolutely terrible since then and the last few days almost broke me. Well, this morning I looked down at the floor and a beautiful black cat about a year old was laying on my tile floor. I have seen her a few times around my patio the last couple weeks. I instantly named her Tabitha and got Thomasina's old bowls out and gave her some water. I had no food for her. She got in because my door was slightly ajar. She wandered around my small place and I called some pet stores seeing who had one the dome shaped litter boxes. I hated to leave the house. When I went to leave, Tabitha was resting on my patio chair. I got all supplies I would need for a housecat and came back. As luck would have it, the store was running a shot clinic later in the day. I was determined to take her. She came back and ate some of the food I gave her. She let me pick her up easily. I got her into the carrier which was cloth and she tore thru it in about 5 minutes continuing the rest of the ride on lap. I wrapped her in a sheet and took her into the store. We had to wait almost an hour for the vet and she let me hold her the whole time with little incident. The vet found a spay tattoo...phew..no pregnancy. That was 6 hours ago and she has spent most of the time resting on my bed, coming out to eat and jumping onto the couch for a bit. She licks, purrs and head butts me. She has not asked to go outside. I have looked on Craigslist and posted with no response. Is it possible this cat can be content staying indoors? The reason I say uncharted territory is because I have never started out with an adult cat who has spent time outdoors. Any thoughts/experience with this? Thanks.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible this cat can be content staying indoors?
T Tabitha121065 - Absolutely. I currently have three past strays, and eight former ferals, and not a single one of then will even go near an open door. Even when their (past) owners don't comprehend the dangers posed by the outside world to their cats, the cats themselves know, and safety is first and foremost to the survival instinct. Tabitha is one happy (and lucky) kitty to have found you!

If the Veterinarian didn't find a microchip, the best you can do is to keep an eye out for "Lost Cat" signs in the neighbourhood. Any time a new cat finds his or her way to me, I always put up "Found Cat" signs. Here's an example:

mirosign.jpg

;)

Congratulations on your new Family member. Stick around - TCS is a great community for cat lovers!

Edit: You might enjoy this thread:

Fervour For Ferals.

stories of ex-ferals, and their journeys from being the poorest cats in the world, to the richest cats of all.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I also have two rescue kitties, both of whom were abandoned, and they are perfectly fine indoors. Mingo will, though, dash out an open door, but he's so overwhelmed by the outdoors he immediately collapses on the ground. He may have been semi-feral when he was rescued.

You might want to check with Animal Control, too. In some places, they keep lists of missing cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabitha121065

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When the vet saw the spay tattoo, the tech looked at her and said-I bet there's a chip-but there wasn't a chip. Around here, any catch and release cat gets her ear clipped to show she has been spayed and Tabitha doesn't have that. I went to bed last night and she climbed right up around my head and started kneading. She stayed with me the whole night. Same affection this morning then went straight to litter box for the first time after only having been shown twice yesterday. Cats are so good that way but you always wonder if they will jump that hurdle until it happens. I had just made a perhaps life changing decision before she appeared yesterday. I have been struggling so much in my life that sometimes I don't have the energy to brush my teeth but this little cat caused me to spring into action. It is like the miracle I have been waiting for. Maybe that sounds a little weird but I had to express it to someone.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had just made a perhaps life changing decision before she appeared yesterday. I have been struggling so much in my life that sometimes I don't have the energy to brush my teeth but this little cat caused me to spring into action. It is like the miracle I have been waiting for. Maybe that sounds a little weird but I had to express it to someone.
T Tabitha121065 - Personally, I doubt that there's a single member here on TCS who'd think that this, "weird." The Miracle we've been waiting for isn't always swathed in a mantle of Heavenly light, nor accompanied by the sound of Gabriel's trumpet and an Herald of Angels, and you are as much a Miracle in Tabitha's Life as she is in yours.

We seem to hear more and more these days that there are no Miracles, and that there's no magic left in the world. What's funny is that our Lives are filled with magic and with Miracles every day; the difference is that most people fail to recognise them. Consider yourself - and Tabitha - Blessed, for being able to recognise the touch of God's hand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabitha121065

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We seem to hear more and more these days that there are no Miracles, and that there's no magic left in the world. What's funny is that our Lives are filled with magic and with Miracles every day; the difference is that most people fail to recognise them. Consider yourself - and Tabitha - Blessed, for being able to recognise the touch of God's hand.
She came to me when nothing or anyone could have helped. She has been watching me. I feel she would have been alright without me but she CHOSE to be with me. Thank you for your kind words.