Unable to use a litter box after amputation

spencer7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spencer had his back leg amputated last Wednesday, and has been unable to use a litter box since.  I tried putting litter in a cookie sheet, thinking it would be lower and easier, but he just goes in it and kicks it around.  I then tried cutting two sides off a letter pan, but he does the same thing.  He will pee in his bed, and poop on a throw rug.  Has anyone ever had this problem before, and is there anything else I should be doing, or just let him figure it out on his own?  He has very short legs, and is over weight, so I'm sure that's not helping

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all welcome to TCS! 
  I don't have any advice for you but have you talked to your vet about this problem? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spencer7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will  taking Spencer on Monday for stitches removal, my vet has the attitude "wait and see". Spencer actually did pee in the litter box last night, it wasn't pretty, he peed all over his good leg but at least he used the box, which is a great start.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a good sign - shows he wants to use the right place at least.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some puppy pads for him to use while he recovers. It takes a while to get used to an amputation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spencer7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the entire room, which is carpeted, lined with shower plastic shower curtains, and then throw rugs over them so he won't slip.  I'm very happy he is attempting the box, I worried he wouldn't figure out how to do it and would just use his bed.